D*A*M - Sonic Titan ( DAM )  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
ManCas
Information

Post by ManCas »

phazerz wrote:Personally i can't hear the difference between 4.7 and 10uF at C4.
The tonestack is really ok to my ears with the 100ka volume pot (thanks to analoguru).
Now i'll try it with a JRC386D !
I also liked the stock tone stack with the 100k vol pot, I ended up putting the stock 10k volume anyway.

Also, I liked the jrc386d better than the stock chip. It's less bright.

phazerz
Information

Post by phazerz »

Does a 10k volume pot makes a difference soundwise ?
The Jrc386D is - with the parts I have at home - cleaner. Especially in the bass content. Tigher but less sweet overall i found. You can increase more C3 with this chip. In the end makes the sound less fuzzy and can't decide which one i prefer at this time...

Play and let decisions happens by themselves is my way of life.
Have fun with this one !

ManCas
Information

Post by ManCas »

phazerz wrote:Does a 10k volume pot makes a difference soundwise ?
The Jrc386D is - with the parts I have at home - cleaner. Especially in the bass content. Tigher but less sweet overall i found. You can increase more C3 with this chip. In the end makes the sound less fuzzy and can't decide which one i prefer at this time...

Play and let decisions happens by themselves is my way of life.
Have fun with this one !
With the 10k volume pot the Treble Control produces a boost in volume and gain. It is not a normal treble control, but putting a 100k volume pot solves this to some extent, IIRC.

I'll try some other opamps I have laying around and let you guys know the results.

phazerz
Information

Post by phazerz »

LM/JRC386 are not opamp ! be carefull.. It is really an audio amp first designed for headphones if i remember well...

ManCas
Information

Post by ManCas »

phazerz wrote:LM/JRC386 are not opamp ! be carefull.. It is really an audio amp first designed for headphones if i remember well...
Thanks man! I'll keep that in mind.

ManCas
Information

Post by ManCas »

So, I tried a couple of 386 IC's and ended up with the JRC, the difference is extremely subtle but I think this one is a little less bright and has a tad more gain.
I read somewhere that the builder set the internal trimmer to achieve a cleaner sound, not fizzy. Keeping that in mind I set mine at 8v, but it sounds good until 4.5v or so, so tweak a little. Anyway....here are some photos, sorry for the low the quality.

PS: Thanks a LOT to Skinpimp and Hilbishnk for the schemos, as well as the other guys who posted in this thread.

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

ManCas wrote:So, I tried a couple of 386 IC's and ended up with the JRC, the difference is extremely subtle but I think this one is a little less bright and has a tad more gain.
I read somewhere that the builder set the internal trimmer to achieve a cleaner sound, not fizzy. Keeping that in mind I set mine at 8v, but it sounds good until 4.5v or so, so tweak a little. Anyway....here are some photos, sorry for the low the quality.

PS: Thanks a LOT to Skinpimp and Hilbishnk for the schemos, as well as the other guys who posted in this thread.

Looks great, which layout did you use? Are the extra controls worth the effort, are they worth including? Looks like you build has an extra switch, what's this for?

ManCas
Information

Post by ManCas »

soggybag wrote: Looks great, which layout did you use? Are the extra controls worth the effort, are they worth including? Looks like you build has an extra switch, what's this for?
Thanks!
The toggle switch is for adding different capacitor values to C3: The center position is stock, which can sound a little too "mid-rangey" in some setups. On the up position it adds a 3.3n cap so the bass is a little stronger. The down position adds a 8.5n cap, much more stronger bass, more saturation. Works great with the IC I used (JRC386D) but might be too flabby for some guys. I think it's totally worth it and is a very easy mod.

I didn't use any layout, I built it on perfboard trying to emulate the component placement of the original unit, based on some photos posted in the first pages of this thread. Dave (the builder) uses stripboard which make it even easier.

willc1968
Information
my favorite amplifier: Kustom K 200 A-4 in red
Completed builds: kay fuzz, clark fuzz, ea tremelo, green ringer, tremelus lune, a few big muffs, fuzz face and factory, sft, woolly mamoth, a bunch of tonebenders and many more that need to be boxed

Post by willc1968 »

i just did the build using McElroys vero layout. 2 corrections need to be made. first there needs to be a trace cut under r4 and second the lm386 is backwards in the layout. other than that it turned out good. my build is not sounding like the clip on the dam website though. mine is sounding like a dirty ass fuzz that is a bit dark, which is cool. i just was expecting something a bit heavier. thanks for the layout McElroy there was enough spacing to use some big ass mojo components.

McElroy0717
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by McElroy0717 »

willc1968 wrote:i just did the build using McElroys vero layout. 2 corrections need to be made. first there needs to be a trace cut under r4 and second the lm386 is backwards in the layout. other than that it turned out good. my build is not sounding like the clip on the dam website though. mine is sounding like a dirty ass fuzz that is a bit dark, which is cool. i just was expecting something a bit heavier. thanks for the layout McElroy there was enough spacing to use some big ass mojo components.
Thanks for the corrections willc1968! I haven't had a chance to build this yet, parts are on order. Here is the updated layout.

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

Has anybody directly compared the tone of the Sonic Titan to the ROG Big Daddy?

Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

Or the Sucker punch?

I've found that I like the stock Titan just fine. Once I learned to micro- adjust the tone control and not play it so bright, I found it's strenghts. It has the crispness and punch
that the DLS lacks for heavier Marshall stuff.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Hi!

Would it make sense to add a "smooth" control to the sonic titan, as in fuzzcentral´s Axis Face and some Fulltones?
Has anybody tried that?

It´s not that I really need that, but I wanna use a readymade enclosure of an Artec/Washburn pedal, and it already has 4 holes for pots... (Those enclosures are really good, I wish they were available for diy-projects...)

Any other suggestions for interesting mods?

Maybe a switchable cap would be a better idea?

Immo

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

A switchable cap will make the most difference.
The smooth pot is pretty nice but the cap
switch can turn it from a fuzz to an overdrive etc etc.

McElroy0717
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by McElroy0717 »

So I finally got this put together last night. Sounds very heavy but I have no gain adjustment. It seems like it is maxed out but will not reduce gain whatsoever. :scratch:
My trimpot will take voltage down no lower than 6.4v. It does this when it is right at about halfway, Full left and full right give me 9.3V. Any ideas? I used this layout. Thanks.
-Rob

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

you've strangely wirred the trimpot, the extrem legs are solder together. In that kind of circuit, I use them in varable resistor, I connect one leg to the 9V strip and the cursor to the gate (the other leg is let free)

McElroy0717
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by McElroy0717 »

devastator wrote:you've strangely wirred the trimpot, the extrem legs are solder together. In that kind of circuit, I use them in varable resistor, I connect one leg to the 9V strip and the cursor to the gate (the other leg is let free)
Thanks devastator. Would a trace cut at (D,9) solve this? I just notice that Mike has a trace cut between the legs of the trimmer on his layout.
-Rob

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

yeah if you cut that point D9, that will work.

McElroy0717
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by McElroy0717 »

Still no gain control. Not sure what the problem might be. :hmmm: I have the trimmer set to 4.6 volts now. The gain seems to be maxed at all times and the tone is very bassy.
Please help
-Rob

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

you're sure the jfet gain stage and the LM386amp work separately ? See if the both work alone. If the jfet boost work correctly when you plug it directely in amp that would means the LM386 part has problem and vice versa.