A. Russell, Fuzz Box, in: Practical Electronics - May 1972 🇬🇧

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
Pinstripedclips
Information

Post by Pinstripedclips »

This post was edited to re-attach the scans by the admin
Full article in PDF:
Practical-Electronics-1972-05 Fuzz Box Russell.pdf
(609.93 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Practical-Electronics-1972-05 Fuzz Box Russell 01.jpg
Practical-Electronics-1972-05 Fuzz Box Russell 02.jpg

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Schmitt trigger fuzz, huh? I don't think I've seen this one before. thanks! one more for freefuzzboxes.org!!

btw- I love the last paragraph. they always had those "warnings" in these old magazine articles. :lol:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I built this one back in 1972, talk about bringing back memories.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

deltafred wrote:I built this one back in 1972, talk about bringing back memories.
Me too. It sounded horrible then and even worse now! I found my old 0.15" pitch Veroboard version of this thing recently, and tried it out. I quickly realised why it never got put into a box!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

mictester wrote: It sounded horrible then and even worse now! I found my old 0.15" pitch Veroboard version of this thing recently, and tried it out.
It's all coming back now, 0.15 verobaord that was made with really dark brown paxolin.

Do I remember correctly, was the 2N2926 colour coded according to gain, with the (G) versions having a green spot on them. It's a long time ago!

I think I still have mine somewhere, and I boxed it up, but cannot locate it but as far as I recall it was pretty nasty sounding.

I am sure someone will like the sound of it, it is maybe what Guitar Carl is looking for to give the "I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum..." sound.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Does it have any controls? Maybe I'm blind but I see nothing on the schemo...

Thanks for it, you did those scans? Can I use it on my websie?

Cheers

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

sinner wrote:Does it have any controls? Maybe I'm blind but I see nothing on the schemo...

Thanks for it, you did those scans? Can I use it on my website?

Cheers
There are no controls! I put a 50k log pot on the output to tame it a bit, and wired a DPDT switch for "true bypass". It's still crap!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

mictester wrote:
There are no controls! I put a 50k log pot on the output to tame it a bit, and wired a DPDT switch for "true bypass".
Thanks Chris
mictester wrote:It's still crap!
so I'll pass, fuck it

Pinstripedclips
Information

Post by Pinstripedclips »

sinner wrote:Does it have any controls? Maybe I'm blind but I see nothing on the schemo...

Thanks for it, you did those scans? Can I use it on my websie?

Cheers
Yeah I scanned it, use it if you want, any scan from a magazine or whatever is fair game for use by anyone once it's uploaded. :D

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

I guarantee it can be tweaked to sound cool....and you can be sure, I won't "over indulge" !

thanx for posting this. it's great to see an odd one

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

btw, the BC169 has pretty high gain (380 min)for the time.
http://transistor-spravochnik.ru/descri ... 169c/23728

the 2N2926 has hfe min 100.
http://transistor-spravochnik.ru/descri ... 926-g/2670

tasteless
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tasteless »

I'm pretty sure I've got the issue with the treble booster.
If it's the one I'm thinking of ,Then I never got around to checking it out - as it required a hand wound inductor.

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

tasteless wrote:I'm pretty sure I've got the issue with the treble booster.
If it's the one I'm thinking of ,Then I never got around to checking it out - as it required a hand wound inductor.
Is this the treble booster?

tasteless
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tasteless »

Although that does look sort of familiar, I thought it had a few more components.
I had a look for it today , And turned up loads of cool stuff ( which I'll have to scan and post here ofcourse !)
But, It's hiding from me for the moment.

Renegadrian
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Renegadrian »

The links in the first post are missing, I guess from the description that it's the same Schematic I made a vero layout of...so here the schem

and my layout - please note that my layout is for CBE transistors!

allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

A quick question: why the diode marked DD000 on the schemo posted by renegadrian shows a "+" sign on the wrong side?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I edited the first post, which only contained dead image links
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Renegadrian
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Renegadrian »

Is my layout correct!?

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Yes, it is correct but the pin order of the transitors in the schematic is E-C-B in the layout C-B-E.