Blackstone Appliances - MOSFET OD (2SV3.12) [ goop-alarm ]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

Wow! Great layout. I'll have to try that as soon as I've got some time. I built the single channel version and it sounds great, but this would be a lot more versatile. Thanks!

p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

Ha. Crap. I got all excited to build that vero layout and even sorted out all the necessary components, but turns out I don't have a single piece of vero with enough rows (best I have is 30...). Looks like I jumped the gun again.

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

Hey P_wats. i like you built the Jr version. I like it alot when i tamed down the gain trimpot, and dont want to mess with it anymore.
I"m torn between building the Sr version. Will the Sr version sound that much better?
Luckily a place in my city sells veros, although its 14 bucks 36x64, i guess its not that overpriced. Good luck when you find those missing 4 rows.. :mrgreen:
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

The senior version allows you to have two different gain settings and two different volume settings. Handy for lots of things. I use the blue channel for mild overdrive and the red channel for a more distorted sustaining type tone for solos and raunchy songs and such. As for tone the senior sounds pretty much the same as the junior just more versitile.

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

Thanks Ripdivot. :wink:
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

joeboo88 wrote:Hey P_wats. i like you built the Jr version. I like it alot when i tamed down the gain trimpot, and dont want to mess with it anymore.
I"m torn between building the Sr version. Will the Sr version sound that much better?
Luckily a place in my city sells veros, although its 14 bucks 36x64, i guess its not that overpriced. Good luck when you find those missing 4 rows.. :mrgreen:
I figured out how to shorten the layout slightly (got rid of a few rows), so I should have it built soon!

As for why it's better, what he said:
Ripdivot wrote:The senior version allows you to have two different gain settings and two different volume settings. Handy for lots of things. I use the blue channel for mild overdrive and the red channel for a more distorted sustaining type tone for solos and raunchy songs and such. As for tone the senior sounds pretty much the same as the junior just more versitile.

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

p_wats wrote:
joeboo88 wrote:Hey P_wats. i like you built the Jr version. I like it alot when i tamed down the gain trimpot, and dont want to mess with it anymore.
I figured out how to shorten the layout slightly (got rid of a few rows), so I should have it built soon!

Ripdivot wrote:The senior version allows you to have two different gain settings and two different volume settings. Handy for lots of things. I use the blue channel for mild overdrive and the red channel for a more distorted sustaining type tone for solos and raunchy songs and such. As for tone the senior sounds pretty much the same as the junior just more versitile.

If you shorten the layout will you be able to maintain the pot spacing? I found that with the pots any closer together the knobs were too close together.

p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

Ripdivot wrote:
p_wats wrote:

If you shorten the layout will you be able to maintain the pot spacing? I found that with the pots any closer together the knobs were too close together.
I'm doing offboard pots, so no worries! Thanks for the layout.

p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

Built the vero last night. I killed lines 1, 10 & 31 (replaced them with direct connections to the various components).

I haven't boxed it up yet, but it sounds great so far! Very versatile. That "red" channel is capable of some awesome high gain sounds.

Thanks again for the layout!

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

p_wats wrote:Built the vero last night. I killed lines 1, 10 & 31 (replaced them with direct connections to the various components).

I haven't boxed it up yet, but it sounds great so far! Very versatile. That "red" channel is capable of some awesome high gain sounds.

Thanks again for the layout!
You're welcome...

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

madbean wrote:Okey doke, here's version 2.
Layout.gif
And the project file with PCB artwork.
Mysterioso_JR_ver2.pdf
Could someone tell me what kind of trimpots I've to use on the first version of the madbean's PCB ? (I'm about to finish an order )

p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

Finally boxed mine up the other day. Having a lot of fun with it--great pedal!

That said, I find that the two channels sound pretty much the same when dimed (with the "red" channel set to single coil--all the way right).

Do you think there is a way to differ the two a little more (maybe change the value of the cap associated with the "red" channel's gain control)?

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

I don't think the channels are meant to sound different. Did you use a 1meg pot for one of the gain pots? Should give you more gain in one of the channels. I think the way to use this pedal is to set one channel as an OD, and the other as lead with the volume and gain set higher.
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

telecaster wrote:I don't think the channels are meant to sound different. Did you use a 1meg pot for one of the gain pots? Should give you more gain in one of the channels. I think the way to use this pedal is to set one channel as an OD, and the other as lead with the volume and gain set higher.
Yeah, that's sort of what I've resigned myself to (Bajaman pointed out earlier in the thread that it's not actually 2 channels, but more like 2 presets for one channel...). I just figure I might as well push it a bit further and see what I can get...

Looks like C11 might be fun to mess with to this end (Madbean's layout does mention this, and the vero layout has it socketed, which I did...thankfully).

p_wats
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by p_wats »

p_wats wrote:
Looks like C11 might be fun to mess with to this end (Madbean's layout does mention this, and the vero layout has it socketed, which I did...thankfully).
Ah, nevermind. C11 only affects the humbucker side of the red channel (ie, the side that already sounds different...). Oh well, worth a shot.

I might try my hand at a ROG Double D to compare...

jazzmaster
Information

Post by jazzmaster »

Just fired up my build.

Sticked to the PDF and paid attention to switch misswiring, worked from start.
Socketed PCL, C10, C11.

I didnt knew this effect before some guy borrowed my the box 2months ago, because he was wondering what im gonna say to it.
I had it in the bandroom for a few practices and i had to say that it nails down my sans amp gt2 which is in the
pedal chain since ive bought it ('96 or so..). Nothing could beat it before.
I missed just some low end, but with C11 "mod" its just perfect gonna need to check it out at band level to verifiy which capacity i put into it.

So i came here to search for it and maybe post some gutshots, but the work was already done!

BAJAMAN youre the MAN ;) THANK YOU SO MUCH AND THE OTHER CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Some notes on the Oscillation thing, on the original box as the gains where ranked up full, and the sustain fades out there was some feedback going to start. i really liked that! Same with the clone here. So this i guess is a feature, some may like other not. Im a player who likes to play whith feedback... let tone sustain and then adjust distance to amp to get that sweet overtones :)

Im gonna change the wiring of the LED's in my Pedal, i like to see the brown/red "chan select led" even when the pedal is in bypass.
Original behaved the same as PDF wiring. both LED's off in bypass. So you never know in which "chan" youre unless u engage the fx,
not usefull on stage in my opinion.

greets,
Jazzy

lefos21
Information

Post by lefos21 »

Hi guys! Can please anyone help me with the offboard wiring of this version ???
Thanks in advance.

lefos21
Information

Post by lefos21 »

Anyone?????

lefos21
Information

Post by lefos21 »

Please someone who knows...
I have the board ready and I need the offboard wiring...

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

You have a layout and the schematic. What more do you need?

Wiring of the jacks, footswitch etc is shown in the file "offboard wiring" at tonepad.com (among the fx projects).