Blackstone Appliances - MOSFET OD (2SV3.12) [ goop-alarm ]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Image---------------------------------Due to my inexorable photo skill upgrades I'm able to offer the glimpse in side a pedal I usually just "leave on" because there aren't any bad settings. Sadly, not only has this got traces on both sides[still tough tophotograph, for me], the designer has fabbed a hyper-secret epoxyblob[it's a neatly formed rectangle with 8 gold pins in-line poking out] that plugs into an in-line 8 pin socket. For the xistors, he's used common parts[mojo lite]. Q1, Q2=J201, Q3=MPSA13, Q4=MPF102. I'd love to use those chromed, slotted pot dialers in my builds if I new where to get them! Here's the first series of pics I shot before the card was full. I've gotta dump stuff & buy a fatter card. Image That's the jack between the 1/4" jax[they're on their own PC]------------------------------------------------Image Note the in-line strip socket-------------Image His workmanship is the kind that should send the Grandlaff's packing!--------------------------------- Image Tell me what you need to see more of while my learning curve has plateau'd. :roll: NG
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

...the designer has fabbed a hyper-secret epoxyblob [it's a neatly formed rectangle with 8 gold pins in-line poking out] that plugs into an in-line 8 pin socket.
Q1, Q2=J201, Q3=MPSA13, Q4=MPF102
Hmmm..... and where can I find the Mosfet ? in the "hyper-secret epoxyblub ?

MPF102 is a vintage N-channel J-Fet (similar to 2N 3819)
J201 too.....
MPS A13 is bipolar.....

where is the MOS hiding?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

This was one of those pedals I loved in the store but hated when I got it home. It's been awhile, maybe I should give it another try.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hey hey Rota - do you have one of these - please post some of your excellent hi res pictures of both sides of the board if you do :wink:
cheers
bajaman

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

bajaman wrote:Hey hey Rota - do you have one of these - please post some of your excellent hi res pictures of both sides of the board if you do :wink:
cheers
bajaman
I haven't had one in awhile. Unfortunately disposable income is a little tight right now, otherwise I'd pick up a used one. If anyone has one they be willing to send my way ican do pics. Noel's photo skills are coming along nicely though. :D

I don't even have anything on hand worth photographing right now. :cry:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Hmmm.... I don´t know.... are you looking for something like this?:

Blackstone Mosfet-OD tracks

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I think I have a better trace shot somewhere. I'm pretty curious about this little puppy.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

are you looking for something like this?:
Thanks AG, but I would love to see better pics of the other side of the board - very curious about this one - more so than the KLON - I wonder where that Klon is?????? hmmmmmmmm
bajaman

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

bajaman wrote:..... I wonder where that Klon is?????? hmmmmmmmm
That's a very good question.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

at least no with me - so I beleive there where he has always been during the last months. But I think this theme is not for this thread.

analogguru

gnognofasciani
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by gnognofasciani »

madbean wrote:I think I have a better trace shot somewhere. I'm pretty curious about this little puppy.
Maybe this one?

I hope it can help, i'm pretty courious too!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Sadly it doesn´t match to the other pictures.

analogguru

gnognofasciani
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by gnognofasciani »

D'oh! :?

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Here's a link to the traces and components. I've taken a couple of the mystery chunk for edification but it reveals no secrets of what it contains. Good luck, NG!----------------------------https://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r222/noelgrassy/
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

gtrwrks
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gtrwrks »

I've always felt the Blackstone unit was one of the hipper (more singular) Boutique dirt boxes available.

oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

Ok, here's my attempt at making one continuous track image... it was hard, and there are some pieces missing, so I hope Noel can help fill in the blanks.

I was hoping we could rev-eng this pedal (I've heard so many great things about it)

sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

Noel, can you maybe also add some values to the pics? And as analogguru said... where are the mosfets? Without knowing what's in that block of epoxy, the whole retracing thing seems rather pointless to me...

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ieatyouforbreakfast »

anyone else notice the "stop obsessing and play yr guitar" quote on the pcb?

like that's gonna stop us..

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by noelgrassy »

sergedeep wrote:Noel, can you maybe also add some values to the pics? And as analogguru said... where are the mosfets? Without knowing what's in that block of epoxy, the whole retracing thing seems rather pointless to me...
I'm afraid you are correct. I'm not prepared to carve that block of epoxy up yet. The whole thread is for naught. Sorry I couldn't provide but I did learn a little about Photography 101. Bear with me, I'll get you guys something complete. Check my updates at the Haunting Mids Fuzz thread.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I'm not prepared to carve that block of epoxy up yet. The whole thread is for naught
On the contrary - no need to carve the block of epoxy up - if we could just get some component values and better board pictures we should be able to reverse engineer this device and make some educated guesses as to what is in the epoxy block. I certainly do not think the whole thread is for naught just yet - we need better pictures - use the macro setting on your digital camera - and the resistor and capacitor values etc.
Then we can begin to work our magic.
cheers
bajaman