Fancy Fuzzbox - 1972

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

I thought I'd throw this up since I didn't get any hits here and I finally found the zine ("101 Electronic Projects") it's in. This thing was included in the 1972 edition, the 1973 edition and the 1974 edition (slightly renamed "Fancy Guitar Fuzzbox").

It uses a couple germanium pnp's

I "cleaned" up the schematic and breadboarded this a while ago

It was cool, but I didn't spend enough time to get it to the point where it was worth boxing.

So, I breaded it again. I used some "standard" FZ-1A compatible transistors since it does resemble the 2nd and 3rd stages of that....used Q1 ~ 75 hfe, leak ~ 150uA and Q2 ~ 120 hfe, leak ~ 320uA

I got a good fuzz right off, though nothing like an FZ-1A. It's fatter and heavier. Q1C/Q2C voltages ~ -1.1V and -1.2V respectively.

A couple notes: definitely screw with different leakages in Q2. Just like many fuzzes with this structure, it's biased by leakage....and screw with the 1M on Q1 and 22K /10K on Q2 to tune it where you like it best.

The stock values gave me a good fuzz right off, but with slight gating and a swell. Increasing the 1M to 1.5M got rid of that, but also increases the bass response a bit. The 100K was too small of a "cutoff"...it's too dead there. I needed something in the 200K-300K range.

The 22K /10K on Q2 were pretty damn close, also. For example, I tuned the 22K by ear and got 28K for the best.

That was just my first shot. I'll definitely be experimenting with many other transistors and leakages, especially for Q2.