Bogner - Ecstasy Red

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
rs
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rs »

Hi guys,
has anyone tried the Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal? From the youtube videos it looks awsome.

Thanks.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

I have one and its excellent. Bogner really hit one out of the park with these pedals. The build quality is excellent and the tones are top notch.

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

Whoismarykelly wrote:I have one and its excellent. Bogner really hit one out of the park with these pedals. The build quality is excellent and the tones are top notch.
So, how rich are you?
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

Whoismarykelly wrote:I have one.

The build quality is excellent and the tones are top notch.
Care to share...in detail? Maybe some pics of yours, just to start?

Ecstasy-789
Information

Post by Ecstasy-789 »

I have one, I really like it. I might try to get some shots of it.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Please do. At least a shot of the component side if that's on top and further dismantling is beyond your means.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

FiveseveN wrote:At least a shot of the component side if that's on top...
Yeah, it would be nice to see if this has the sort of standard cascaded jFET "triode emulation" sort of setup. Website says hand built, so I'm assuming no SMT (seem to recall Bogner saying in a video the use of Wima caps, too).

At the very least, it might be cool if there is "evidence of amp design methods" as opposed to the now very standard "_____-in-a-box" way of making some kinds of pedals. In other words, just hoping that Bogner has a twist on something that we haven't seen before, or not really as he might have implemented it.

Any visible difference or peculiarities might warrant a full trace - I guess that is what I'm interested in more than anything.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

MoonWatcher wrote:
FiveseveN wrote:At least a shot of the component side if that's on top...
Yeah, it would be nice to see if this has the sort of standard cascaded jFET "triode emulation" sort of setup. Website says hand built, so I'm assuming no SMT (seem to recall Bogner saying in a video the use of Wima caps, too).

At the very least, it might be cool if there is "evidence of amp design methods" as opposed to the now very standard "_____-in-a-box" way of making some kinds of pedals. In other words, just hoping that Bogner has a twist on something that we haven't seen before, or not really as he might have implemented it.

Any visible difference or peculiarities might warrant a full trace - I guess that is what I'm interested in more than anything.
I have one. All SMD. Microcontroller for bypass/boost functions, charge pump which appears to be giving it ~27V and cascaded FETs. Haven't disassembled it or the Uber but there are two boards. Once for switching/power and one for the audio portion.

EDIT: Just took it apart. Looks like the signal board uses through hole as well. Main audio portion is encapsulated in some goop. Pretty thorough.

Switching board:

Audio board:

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Branded goop... :slap: Now why didn't I see that coming?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

freq67
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by freq67 »

FiveseveN wrote:Branded goop... :slap: Now why didn't I see that coming?
Nah that ain't goop.........That's the bonus candy bars that come in the first 100 pedal.......I hear their real "chewy". Yeah I went there.

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

I just checked these out. The ad speak makes me want to puke but JFet emulations of your own amps is brilliant! I bet they would sound like a 30 volt Umble.

Must try one on bass :horsey:

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

Neat! Gold plated, too. Wonder if anyone will de-goop this one. I for one am not worried about what's inside, but I gotta give them kudos for the sheer complexity of a simple distortion box.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

Skreddy wrote:I for one am not worried about what's inside, but I gotta give them kudos for the sheer complexity of a simple distortion box.
And the modular nature. Also interesting the use of "regular" carbon film resistors, when many distortion box builders of late insist on metal films.

I'm assuming that all of the coupling caps and the EQ shaping are exterior to the block of goop. So that could essentially be traced.

And I have to now wonder if there are trimpots encased in that goop for biasing the transistors? I somehow doubt it. I guess that means that the "hand built" part would constitute measuring transistors for a certain gain, most likely.

I think it would almost be hilarious if there was a hex CMOS in that block, like with the Blackstone Mosfet OD or the Emma REEZ. Not that it couldn't be used to build a killer sounding distortion. Just that Bogner is slick enough to sidestep the whole "pile of FET's" thing.

If the average owner is a dentist or plastic surgeon, one of them should x-ray the thing. :idea:

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

atreidesheir wrote:
Whoismarykelly wrote:I have one and its excellent. Bogner really hit one out of the park with these pedals. The build quality is excellent and the tones are top notch.
So, how rich are you?
Not particularly. $300 pedals abound on this planet. Most of them have 20 parts and a stupid paint job. The Bogner pedals have more complexity than many 100-watt amp heads and they sound great. Probably the most worthwhile $300 pedal I own.

kantul
Information

Post by kantul »

found this picture on net, looks pretty neat.

Ecstasy-789
Information

Post by Ecstasy-789 »

I'm just going to take mine apart to post pictures.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Ecstasy-789 wrote:I'm just going to take mine apart to post pictures.
Nice one! :thumbsup
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Ecstasy-789
Information

Post by Ecstasy-789 »

Once I work out how to do it!! Due to my own paranoia I'm going to remove identifying remarks, I don't want it coming back to me. I am a keen DIY'er and this is unlike anything I've seen before.

Ecstasy-789
Information

Post by Ecstasy-789 »

rs
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rs »

Thanks for yhe photos Ecstasy-789. :thumbsup