Bogner - Ecstasy Red

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Angle Loss
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Angle Loss »

Just googled the Guv'nor schematic...good call! Question, I am unfamiliar with this type of layout and need some help. What would I change to 1) the treble control, it gets very fizzy (very high treble freq) to lower it and, 2) how to I change the mid freq as well (I think I might want to lower that freq)--or any other tips on how to make this tone section better? I find it overall kind of flat sounding, and when getting the treble control is low, it is too dark, yet when raising it, it doesn't really give me treble, only that high fizz. I love the Uber, but this one is bumming me out right now.

Angle Loss
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Angle Loss »

update...

Well...I very basically understand high/low pass filters, but all this parallel stuff leaves me a bit confused (I'm only a hobbiest). I've tried to figure it out the best I can (still don't understand this tone stack real well--mostly the treble area). I decided to desolder the 68n to ground that the treble and bass knobs connect to, and tried a few different values. I decided so far that it sounds best with that cap removed entirely. It opened up the upper mids a bit. I feel that I'm not getting so much tone mush now. I'd like to know about the 2200 cap next to the 2k resistor if someone could explain it to me.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

What are the pot values? I don't think you are gonna be able to revoice it more like a Soldano SLO like you said in your previous post... most of the tone shaping comes from the first and second jfet stages. All you can do is mess around with the tone stack with the info you have gathered so far...

skywise
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by skywise »

Angle Loss wrote:Mods...can this be moved to the boutique stompbox area so that it can be discussed more? Thanks!
Yeah, can this topic be moved?

Does anybody read this forum anymore? :scratch:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

skywise wrote:
Angle Loss wrote:Mods...can this be moved to the boutique stompbox area so that it can be discussed more? Thanks!
Yeah, can this topic be moved?

Does anybody read this forum anymore? :scratch:
Guess that's a big no? :roll:

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

J0K3RX wrote:What are the pot values? I don't think you are gonna be able to revoice it more like a Soldano SLO like you said in your previous post... most of the tone shaping comes from the first and second jfet stages. All you can do is mess around with the tone stack with the info you have gathered so far...
Yeah, the Guv'nor tone circuit is just a passive thing, so it's really just a matter of reducing certain frequencies.

I seem to recall the Guv'nor had 10K pots for all three?

The standard tricks for adjusting high pass or low pass corner frequencies apply. The "extra stuff" versus something like a Marshall amp tone stack is just there to make it a little better as used in pedal format. I believe that the bass filter basically lets you adjust between "more or less," if that makes sense. So even if counter-clockwise, I think it's still rolling off some treble.

I think that Barber modified some of the Marshall pedal tone circuits with the Dirty Bomb. So when you reduce the treble, you are also basically increasing the signal that goes to a low pass filter at the same time. It might just take an extra component or two.

If the treble is too bright and making a high pass filter cap larger doesn't work so well, making the pot bigger to cut more at that frequency might help. Another possibility would be to add some series resistance after the cap if you don't want to replace the pot.

You could also run temp wires to a breadboard to sub caps in and out, and give you an idea of what different values would do to the tone circuit.

EdGrip
Information

Post by EdGrip »

MWAHAHA! I fear this excellent forum has met its match!

^_^ I'm watching with interest.

Angle Loss
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Angle Loss »

Thanks for moving this thread mods!

After doing some cap swapping, I ended up replacing C116 (the 68n to ground) with a 12n, and modified the low pass filter cap C136 (2.2n) after the treble pot/before the volume pot, to a 3.3n. It opened up the sound quite a bit and then I reduced the fizz with the low pass. The pedal went from being almost sold to a keeper now. The treble control is still weak and gets fizzy above noon, but the EQ range in general is much better and less congested. Thanks for the help, guys.

bancika
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bancika »

I got very interested in this, but I see quite a few of them being sold on TGP just days after purchase...that means something :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out - https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator
Check out my site with DIY gutars, amps and pedals http://diy-fever.com

bucksears
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bucksears »

Interesting - I noticed some of the empty part locations on the board (unless they are on the bottom); wondering if they use the same board for the Blue as well?
And I'm kinda surprised that someone opened up the Red before taking a crack at the Blue. The latter seems to get more overall favorable reviews.

I had a Blue for a couple of days and returned it; the dealbreakers were the overall lack of gain in standard (non-boosted) mode and the volume jump with the boost mode engaged and the BOOST VOLUME AT MINIMUM. Should be a way to analyze/fix those two shortcomings, but saw the SMD parts and gave up.

chuckjaywalk
Information

Post by chuckjaywalk »

I just got a Blue last night, via a contest I won. I didn't have time to mess with it too deeply, but it is really fantastic. Less a distortion pedal and more like a second channel for my shitty little amp. With the Variac on in Plexi mode, it is sheer beauty.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

I am interested in the Uberschall over any of them.. I think Goosoniqueworx SeventHeaven is pretty much the best Ecstasy pedal at the moment. Not very many of the Uber pedals except for the Bogner...

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

i played the red one and can say yeah i found the eq to be not that inspiring. i haven't taken one apart, however i can say that if it is a marshall eq like the guvnor then try putting in 25k pots. the old purplexed did that and kept the same eq as the guvnor and it was much more amp sounding to use a cliche

guiltyspark
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by guiltyspark »

Just want to say thx to the forum members for posting pics of these! I don't think we'll be cloning these anytime soon, judging by the gut shots. I kinda want the Über pedal but I own the amp so it seems stupid to buy the pedal. :slap: There seems to be quite a few of these on eBay at $220ish, I might just wait for a deal on one.

Saruman_
Information

Post by Saruman_ »

any news?

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

any news? 2016!

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

I think that the owners of this pedal is very lazy people. :hmmm: It's been 3 years, and the schematic is not! I buy and wait for La Grange. I need 5 days to draw schematic! :popcorn:

dv8r601
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey ranger 212

Post by dv8r601 »

That gooped board looks awful familiar after seeing the degooped la grange "top secret" board I'm really interestes to see if that part is different or the same module with the external parts on the main audio board doing all the heavy lifting. Thanks all for posting pics and taking these stupidly expensive pedals apart for us to gawk at.

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

:(

Stephanovitch
Information

Post by Stephanovitch »

Bogner ecstasy red.pdf
(30.11 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
This is secret part of red ecstasy:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ehinjrbukbqn ... d.pdf?dl=0