Small drill press that doesn't need fixed to surface?

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
Jonotron
Information

Post by Jonotron »

Hi there,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small drill press for drilling enclosure holes for sockets, switches etc (preferably available in the UK) that doesn't need to be bolted or fixed to a floor or bench? I don't have a dedicated workshop and would like to be able to remove the drill for storage when not in use without having to unbolt it.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Jonotron wrote:Hi there,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small drill press for drilling enclosure holes for sockets, switches etc (preferably available in the UK) that doesn't need to be bolted or fixed to a floor or bench? I don't have a dedicated workshop and would like to be able to remove the drill for storage when not in use without having to unbolt it.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
A rotary tool from craftsman or a dremel with a plunge router attachment work fine for PCBs. I have never used the rotary tool for drilling enclosures though.

Dremel Rotary Tool: http://www.sears.com/dremel-300-series- ... ockType=G9

Dremel Rotary Tool plunge Router attachment: http://www.sears.com/dremel-plunge-rout ... 10?prdNo=1

Not sure where you would pick these up in the UK, but I am certain this tool or something similar is widely available.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

It's precisely the smaller ones that DO need to be bolted down somehow - they don't have a heavy enough base to be stable otherwise.

Anyhow, just get a big ol' vise and clamp it down. Not permanent, but stable enough.

I never tried a rotary tool. I will say that being able to just put a hole in a box any time I want to has been well worth the $120 I spent between the drill press and then stepping bit.

Jonotron
Information

Post by Jonotron »

Thanks for your input, I think I may go down the route of buying a folding workbench with the bolt holes ready drilled and look at a small drill press of some description. I work in a high school so use the pillar drills in the Metalwork rooms which are awesome but would like my own little facility!