Diode: substitute UF4002 for 1N400x?

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
doctor_solar
Information

Post by doctor_solar »

I was looking for some 1N400x diodes to use for the reverse power protection portion of a circuit and I found some UF4002. I compared the data sheets and it appears that they are almost identical. The only significant differences I found were...

1N4001
standard recovery diode
reverse voltage 50V
reverse current IR 5mA

UF4002
Ultra fast recovery diode
reverse voltage 100V
reverse current IR 10mA

Will the UF4002 work as a substitute for the 1N4001?

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

doctor_solar wrote:I was looking for some 1N400x diodes to use for the reverse power protection portion of a circuit and I found some UF4002. I compared the data sheets and it appears that they are almost identical. The only significant differences I found were...

1N4001
standard recovery diode
reverse voltage 50V
reverse current IR 5mA

UF4002
Ultra fast recovery diode
reverse voltage 100V
reverse current IR 10mA

Will the UF4002 work as a substitute for the 1N4001?
they are equal,the UF series are used in rectification where you need less HF ringing as possible,for your situation its wasted.
I can't believe you can't find a 1N400x diode,they are anywhere.
Beware of the AC supplies with this protection,it won't work....

doctor_solar
Information

Post by doctor_solar »

alexradium wrote:they are equal,the UF series are used in rectification where you need less HF ringing as possible,for your situation its wasted.
I can't believe you can't find a 1N400x diode,they are anywhere.
Thanks! I realize I can order 1N400x anywhere online (I'm actually waiting on some now), but I tried stopping in at a local store to see what they had.
alexradium wrote:Beware of the AC supplies with this protection,it won't work....
Sorry, I'm not following you. My intent is to use the diode as protection against using the wrong wall wart (wrong as in reversed pos/neg), which I assume works correctly?

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

alexradium wrote:Beware of the AC supplies with this protection,it won't work....
Sorry, I'm not following you. My intent is to use the diode as protection against using the wrong wall wart (wrong as in reversed pos/neg), which I assume works correctly?[/quote]absolutely,it works with DC voltage supplies perfectly....but i've seen enough people assuming that old 9V wall wart found in their drawer or borrowed from another pedal was perfect for the job,but it was AC voltage and they burned all the chips inside....
DC ok,AC another story...

doctor_solar
Information

Post by doctor_solar »

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

galmar
Information

Post by galmar »

UF400x diodes are as you say almost same with 1N400x ones. The UF's are faster though - they switch off more quickly, so they tend to cause less ringing problems in some circuits. They are regarded as a quality version of 1N400x diodes, being regarded as softer diodes for switching applications.

Relayer110
Information

Post by Relayer110 »

You could also get 1N5819 Schottky diodes, as the have a forward drop of only 0.400V compared to a silicon rectifier diodes of 0.600V.
I always use Schottky diodes in all of my projects that require reverse polarity protection. But I have to stress, this is a matter of choice and should make no difference to what you intend. :)
Regards,
Relayer :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: