Enclosure painting

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Hello,

well i have built a few effects, i started about 1 year ago building them. And I feel I am getting better soldering skills, better offboard wiring arrangement, better "fit-in-enclosure" layout, better overall quality circuit I guess...

But there's something I couldn't never, EVER, do properly. Enclosure painting and finish (labels and all that). i mean, my enclosures just SUCK!!
My "modus operandi" regarding this comes to clear decal paper, but then again it just sucks! i can't paint a enclosure with a dark color and use the decal for labels (its transparent). I also tried white decals, but doesn't do the job properly - try it, you will see...
I want to get better, really. How can I paint and label a enclosure like this?

or

Need advice, ideas, anything, PLEASEEEE!!

Thank you!!!

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

No one? :(

bcalla44
Information

Post by bcalla44 »

The challenge posed by the pedals in your pictures is white on a colored enclosure, with the enclosure color showing through.

I have seen this solution posted elsewhere - I haven't tried it myself. There is a product called DecalPro - http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/Ver ... rview.html

It allows you to create transfers of any color. Requires an initial investment, but looks like it would work.
There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.
- Woody Allen

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

bcalla44 wrote:The challenge posed by the pedals in your pictures is white on a colored enclosure, with the enclosure color showing through.

I have seen this solution posted elsewhere - I haven't tried it myself. There is a product called DecalPro - http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/Ver ... rview.html

It allows you to create transfers of any color. Requires an initial investment, but looks like it would work.
Thank you!!

Well, I am not in USA. I am from Portugal (EU), and it seems a little difficult to get all these, and also the costs are a bit high...
Is this the only way?

Also, any suggestion, different from the examples given, is kindly appreciated.

Sadcadaver
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavy Bandit
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Russian Muff, Distortus Maximus, and a couple of custom DOOM muffs.

Post by Sadcadaver »

Learn how to etch an enclosure... its easier than baking the painted enclosure and it looks better too (in my humble opinion!).

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

If you don't mind color on just the top of the box check out this thread.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 47&t=17040
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Sadcadaver wrote:Learn how to etch an enclosure... its easier than baking the painted enclosure and it looks better too (in my humble opinion!).
i did... also came out messy. I use the toner transfer method on a previously well sanded enclosure, so that the iron is most paralell to the surface as possible and this way get the maximum heat transfer and uniformity.
When I put the enclosure on acid, it starts to get really hot because of the exothermic reaction, and starts to corrode too much because the toner-ink gets "weaker" and doesn't stick so well with the enclosure so hot. This way the acid gets beneath this protection and etch what it doesn't supposed to.
I think maybe I have to add more water so the lower the concentration of acid and get this more controlled.

bato001 wrote:If you don't mind color on just the top of the box check out this thread.

Man, I gotta try this!! Do you use color laser printer or inkjet printer?
Thank you very much!

PS: @all, sorry for my not so good english. It's not my native language. if anything I previously wrote is not so well "understandable" or confusing, please tell me and I will try to clarify. Tks!

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

zedsnotdead wrote:
Sadcadaver wrote:Learn how to etch an enclosure... its easier than baking the painted enclosure and it looks better too (in my humble opinion!).
i did... also came out messy. I use the toner transfer method on a previously well sanded enclosure, so that the iron is most paralell to the surface as possible and this way get the maximum heat transfer and uniformity.
When I put the enclosure on acid, it starts to get really hot because of the exothermic reaction, and starts to corrode too much because the toner-ink gets "weaker" and doesn't stick so well with the enclosure so hot. This way the acid gets beneath this protection and etch what it doesn't supposed to.
I think maybe I have to add more water so the lower the concentration of acid and get this more controlled.

bato001 wrote:If you don't mind color on just the top of the box check out this thread.

Man, I gotta try this!! Do you use color laser printer or inkjet printer?
Thank you very much!

PS: @all, sorry for my not so good english. It's not my native language. if anything I previously wrote is not so well "understandable" or confusing, please tell me and I will try to clarify. Tks!
I used a cheap, plain old ink jet printer.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

And what type of varnish/laquer do you use?

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

zedsnotdead wrote:And what type of varnish/laquer do you use?
Plain old spray on acrylic clear coat.