Germanium Diode Options

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
soupbone
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: SimpleTone Artisan
Completed builds: G.G.G.-BSIAB2(my 1st build),GRO,M.A.M.P.CB-1,ITS-8.AMZ-Mosfet Boost.

Post by soupbone »

I like using Germanium Diodes in certain circuits.The only one's I've used are the common 1N34a.I want to find a different Germanium that has a lot of the same characteristics as the 1N34a.Been looking at some datasheets,and the 1N270 looks like a good candidate.Is there any others I should check in to?

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

I 've got a handful of 1n60 ge diodes, but never tried them in anything. Just read somewhere, they were good in od circuits...
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

soupbone
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: G.G.G.-BSIAB2(my 1st build),GRO,M.A.M.P.CB-1,ITS-8.AMZ-Mosfet Boost.

Post by soupbone »

grrrunge wrote:I 've got a handful of 1n60 ge diodes, but never tried them in anything. Just read somewhere, they were good in od circuits...
Sweet!I actually bought some 1N60's from my local electronics shop,but they looked like they were from the 1970's.lol Everyone of them when I bent the leads just crumbled because they were so old.Do anybody make the 1N60 anymore?Thanks!

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

They are only slightly less common than 1n34a. Both are more common that 1n270 in my experience. !n34a and 1n60 are pretty interchangeable.

Small Bear has them of course. They can all pop up on websites. Tayda has them but it is a good chance they are merely workalikes.

mklec is a new vendor. http://mklec.com/components/diodes/germanium-diodes they have 1n34a. good price too
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

IIRC 1N34A and 1N60 have substantially different V thresholds. 1N34As I've tested at 450 mV to 650 mV. 1N60s and 1N270s always seem to fall around 350. The difference in threshold affects both volume and the characteristic of the distortion, as the lower your threshold goes, the more compressed your signal becomes.

soupbone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by soupbone »

astrobass wrote:IIRC 1N34A and 1N60 have substantially different V thresholds. 1N34As I've tested at 450 mV to 650 mV. 1N60s and 1N270s always seem to fall around 350. The difference in threshold affects both volume and the characteristic of the distortion, as the lower your threshold goes, the more compressed your signal becomes.
So,in your opinion do you think a 1n34a would work better in a circuit like ds-1 or sd-1 for example,would be better than the others you named?

soupbone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by soupbone »

grrrunge wrote:I 've got a handful of 1n60 ge diodes, but never tried them in anything. Just read somewhere, they were good in od circuits...
Wow,Mammoth Electronics in my home state of Oklahoma have 1N270's and 1N60's!I guess you learn somethin' every day.lol