VHT S6U Marshall 1959/1987 pre amp mod

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
JOHNO
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JOHNO »

Here is another mod i came up with. I haven't done the mod yet but will start on a layout today and wire it up soon after.
For this one you have to lose the effects loop (I dont use it) but you gain the ability to jumper the inputs for some marshall (well fender actually) magic. Here is the schemo.
Enjoy Johno
VHT S6U 1959 pre amp mod.png

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Looks like the classic Superlead Plexi circuit, should sound good...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

JOHNO
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JOHNO »

Ok its all done now. Sounds heaps better and more versatile than it ever was.
It took some time to get the layout done but it came out good I think. No mods to the original board are necessary. R37 on the vht schematic needs to be removed from grid to ground on the output tube.
I put the pre amp volumes on the face of the amp where the original volumes were. The master is on the back (that sucks a bit) where the footswitch jack was, input's A for both channels are on the face of the amp where the originals were. Inputs B are on the back in the holes where the effect send and return were so i can just jumper those two inputs with a patch cable. I had to put the mid pot on the back where the line out was. No need to drill any new holes in the chassis.
Anyways heres the layout, resistor and cap values correspond with the VHT schematic
Shit just realized I didn't get all the resistor and cap numbers right. Opp's
Rock on, Johno
VHT S6U JTM 1959 Mod.png

JOHNO
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JOHNO »

Just a quick update. I moved all 4 inputs to the back of the amp into where the effects, line and footswitch were. The pre gains, master and Eq knobs are all on the face of the amp. Still no need to drill any hole in the chassis.
The sound? Fucking amazing. It really nails those classic marshall sounds from the 70's when it's cranked.

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

JOHNO wrote: 11 Jun 2014, 04:17 Just a quick update. I moved all 4 inputs to the back of the amp into where the effects, line and footswitch were. The pre gains, master and Eq knobs are all on the face of the amp. Still no need to drill any hole in the chassis.
The sound? Fucking amazing. It really nails those classic marshall sounds from the 70's when it's cranked.
I'm looking for exactly this to use on my jcm800, do you have any videos, is it working correctly?

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

andregarcia57 wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 19:33
JOHNO wrote: 11 Jun 2014, 04:17 Just a quick update. I moved all 4 inputs to the back of the amp into where the effects, line and footswitch were. The pre gains, master and Eq knobs are all on the face of the amp. Still no need to drill any hole in the chassis.
I'm looking for exactly this to use on my jcm800, do you have any videos, is it working correctly?
I know jcm800's used to be less than $300 all day long. Before you mod it, check to see if that is the case ;)