Ibanez - SD-9 Sonic Distortion  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
extremist
Information

Post by extremist »

Well, the schematic appears to be identical to Dirk's one, except for feedback loop cap: 220p instead of 1000p, and output cap: 10u instead of 1u.

extremist
Information

Post by extremist »

the schematic
Attachments
Maxon_SD-9.pdf
(72.92 KiB) Downloaded 1153 times

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Thanks pal! You had me worried with those way different cap values ;)
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

bucksears
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bucksears »

Sorry to bump this one, but is the PDF file in the above link based on all actual parts on a vintage/original SD9, or is it a 'modified-for-best-sounding-SD9'?
I'm about to throw one together in the next day or so and wanted to check.

Thanks,
Buck

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

some guts....
Attachments
CIMG1973.JPG
CIMG1974.JPG

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30

Post by JimiB »

so I did the analogman SD-9 "more mod" "changing the resistor and cap of the high-pass filter side of the tone control from 6k8 and 27n to 27k and 100n." and it seems like I lost low end. What am I missing? Shouldnt the CCW position of the pot stayed the same?

truff
Information

Post by truff »

Hi all,

I'm trying to build an SD9 clone. After reviewing all posts and shemas the one from Hendrick seems the one to go with. As I'm curious (and trying to learn) I've analysed other schemas and compared them to Hendrick ones. Every change on the feedback loops and RC filter after the 1rst opamp stage (capacitor and resistors) are fine from Hendrick shemas (other one would create lots of bass, I've checked this with LTspice simulation).
Now, I'm wondering why some sheme are using the second half of the opamp before output (I know that some buffer here would be helpful but it seems that this stage also involves tone tuning).
I'm analysing this vero shema:

I've isolated the part after the tone stack, signal going from Tone2 wire. I've created a simulation in LTspice and here is what I got:

It seems strange that the signal is under 10 dB ...
I've tryed changing R9 from 22k to 220K (this may be an error) and here what I got:

With 220K this seems like a regular low pass filter active filter.

Any remarks regarding the use of this stage in this specific shema ?

extremist
Information

Post by extremist »

here it is again, this shematic is based on two maxon sd-9 i repaired, they were identical
Attachments
sd-9.gif

diafebus
Information

Post by diafebus »

I did that based on Dirk schematic for people who doesn't want jacks, pots and footswtiches on the PCB :mrgreen:
I revised twice and seems to be alright!

diafebus
Information

Post by diafebus »

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I did a couple of vero layouts for the SD9, one with only a input buffer as per the GGG schematic, and one with input and output transistor buffers as per the schematics in this thread:

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

truff
Information

Post by truff »

Hi all, I did this build and the sound seems pretty cool when I play alone but I've problems to cut in the mix while playing with my band. It seems that I'm facing the "mid scoop" problem.
I fisrt had a problem with volume (even when beung all the way up i could just be at the same level as without the effect) so I'm now using the other half of the opamp as a pure gain stage (4 gain) to have more room regarding the volume and this is perfect.
I'm on the way to test the "super mod" but I'm not sure that this would be sufficient to cut through the mix and I'm wondering if a mid boost could help. Does anyone knows what the analogmann mid boost option is ? (I know that the ST9 is using a mid boost before the gain stage and that is a wondeful option compared to regular vanilla TS9).

Thanks in advance for your help !

GorillaHuman
Information

Post by GorillaHuman »

Hi all,

Once again turning to y'all for advice. I got myself a Sonic Distortion from the 80's a while back. It only squeals when there is nothing connected to the input of the pedal, both in bypass or in engaged mode. The horrific noise is only apparent when the distortion knob is NOT set at 0. When an instrument is plugged in, the noise is not there. It sounds correct when in use.
I already replaced the electric capacitors (being from the 80's thats the first thing I did) but to no avail. The pitch of the squeal changes slightly along with the distortion knob setting. What could cause this issue? Is it some internal feedback in the guitar effect and how come?

electrosonic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by electrosonic »

I have an original that does the same. Never bothered to fix it - it's not an issue during normal operation. I wonder if they all do that?

Andrew.

Pedal Dan
Information

Post by Pedal Dan »

There are 2 versions. The original from 81 to early 82 has a separate PC board for the pots. I've noticed that one squeals, while the newer 84 I have doesn't. My early one is an 81.

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Guys, heres the original (old) layout with electronic switching
Hope it's usefull
Attachments
Ibanez-Maxon SD9 Sonic Distortion eng.zip
(977.23 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Thanks!
The copper foil in your PDF is a perfect sizable vector. However, the image next to it with the components outline is virtually unreadable :secret:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Sorry Dirk
I had to rasterize the vectors on that to overcome the size limit of 1mb of the forum
here it is on dropbox
Is an A4 size paper

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm5flhjftbqys ... g.pdf?dl=0

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Guys! A warning, all the diodes except the polarity protection and the clipping diodes (cause it doesn matter) are reversed

I Just finished my clone, with electronic bypass.

Everything is working ok, except the button doesn't change the status of the flip flop

Flip flop works cause I can change its state by touching the base of the transistors with a metalic element, alternating between the two to change state.

Button works,
I changed all the 1nf ceramics in the flip flop, also the 47nf, and the 3 2sc1815
Only sub I made is use 56pf instead o 51pf. I tried to replace the 56pf with 47pf but that doesnt work either

What can I try?
Regards

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Managed to respond changing the 56pf to 560pf in the colector of the transistors.
But now switch is very bouncy. Work most of the times.
Using 470pf as the boss flipflops improves

Any suggestions?