Sub for Bat85 - Schottkey in OCD-type circuit

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
cruisemates
Information

Post by cruisemates »

I am making an Oddfellow Effects Caveman

It calls for a Schottkey Bat85 or IN60P.

What is a suitable alternative? I don't actually know what the diode does in this circuit, it is switchable but I have built it as seen here http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search?q=caveman and it is not working. I used a 5818 (was all I had in Schottkey, but I guess it was a bad choice).

There are so many diodes out there, and used for different purposes - where can I read up on these and get a quick overview so I am not clueless?

Thank you!!!

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

OK, apologizing in advance....I haven't looked at the circuit or schematic, so I'm going out on a limb with this answer.
It appears to me that by suggesting a Schottky diode or the 1N60 germanium diode, they are really saying to pick a
diode with a low voltage drop.....typically .2V to .3V. Normal silicon diodes, such as the 1N4148, drop about .6V.
If I am right on this, then your diode is probably OK....maybe you have it turned around in the circuit, or, perhaps,
have made some other error in the build.
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

cruisemates
Information

Post by cruisemates »

Thanks for the reply - I found an in60 ( i read someplace the "P" only stands for "plastic" so they re the same - germanium. Damn circuit is still not working, tho. Very bummed about this - have checked everything.