Boss - DS-1 (new unit)  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

So, I had a Boss DS-1 in to mod and I noticed it was one of the newer versions. On this version some extra stuff was added when compared to the old units I had under my hands.

Such a nice pedal but nowhere on the web I could find something on this new additions to the older unit. So, here it is! New IC = M5223AL, R39, R40 and D8 were added

Older unit
Newer unit
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

As far as I remember it is more complicated and should look more like this:
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

analogguru wrote:As far as I remember it is more complicated and should look more like this:

Hmmmm, could be; I had a hard time finding a datasheet on the IC so I implemented the old IC into the new. This design makes a lot more sense though!

Thanks Analogguru!
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Hmmmm, could be; I had a hard time finding a datasheet on the IC.....
:hmmm: really ? You should never forget: Google is your friend:
http://www.google.at/search?as_q=&hl=de ... afe=images

If you click on the first hit you can download a datasheet of the M5223L for free.... really

BTW, can you please check the value of the capacitor in the feedback loop of the 2nd opamp ?
Somebody claimed that it should be only 10p.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

analogguru wrote:
Hmmmm, could be; I had a hard time finding a datasheet on the IC.....
:hmmm: really ? You should never forget: Google is your friend:
http://www.google.at/search?as_q=&hl=de ... afe=images

If you click on the first hit you can download a datasheet of the M5223L for free.... really

BTW, can you please check the value of the capacitor in the feedback loop of the 2nd opamp ?
Somebody claimed that it should be only 10p.

analogguru
The cap is 100p

D1 is a 1N4148 diode

I tried searching on the M5223AL version of the IC and those are findable but no datasheets :)

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Muhammad Iqbal and Brett Miller put together a really cool article with alot of detail about the newer DS-1. It includes schematics, a project, and mods. I found it at DIYStompboxes; I don't think they'd mind if I shared it here. It's really well done.

DS-1 Project by, Brett Miller and Muhammad Iqbal
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

I heard the changed the opamp again to the NJM3404AL in late 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOSS

Scroll down about halfway.... There's a post on the other board about that in march

Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

I was making a little bit modification of this distortion, and I remember, that the two diodes (d4 and d5) are not normal -1n4148. They was schottky diodes.
A good mod is to use non symmetrical clipping using schottky and(or) mosfet.

sugarinthegourd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sugarinthegourd »

soulsonic wrote:Muhammad Iqbal and Brett Miller put together a really cool article with alot of detail about the newer DS-1. It includes schematics, a project, and mods. I found it at DIYStompboxes; I don't think they'd mind if I shared it here. It's really well done.

Someone just gave me an old DS-1. It's an early MIJ one with the Toshiba TA7136AP chip.

The housing is trashed probably beyond repair, and it'll need new pots, etc. so I'm going to rehouse it in a 125B. Wondering if I should try the mods listed in that article (the Keeley mods) or if those maybe don't apply to this older board.

Anyone know for sure?

thanks...

sugarinthegourd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sugarinthegourd »

Nev mind...I looked at the board and just at a glance it's totally different than the later boards. Different layout, different components. I'll get it working as-is and then see if it needs anything else...

gtrwrks
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gtrwrks »

soulsonic wrote:Muhammad Iqbal and Brett Miller put together a really cool article with alot of detail about the newer DS-1. It includes schematics, a project, and mods. I found it at DIYStompboxes; I don't think they'd mind if I shared it here. It's really well done.

Very nicely done article - well laid out, etc.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

Hi, did someone built the true bypass version of ds-1?

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

mojah63 wrote:I heard the changed the opamp again to the NJM3404AL in late 2007
yep - I have one with the Mitsubishi chip and a newer one with the NJM - the new chip beats the Mitsu hands down, IMO. Much more mod friendly. I know that folks loved ripping the M5223AL out and replacing it with a DIP8 adapter and their favorite DIP8 chip, but the 3404 does pretty well with the right tweaks. JMO, and I haven't really compared the data sheets on the two, but just like what I hear. IMO, makes a 40 dollar pedal even more of a bargain.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

sugarinthegourd wrote:Someone just gave me an old DS-1. It's an early MIJ one with the Toshiba TA7136AP chip.

The housing is trashed probably beyond repair, and it'll need new pots, etc. so I'm going to rehouse it in a 125B. Wondering if I should try the mods listed in that article (the Keeley mods) or if those maybe don't apply to this older board.

Anyone know for sure?

thanks...
The old MIJ's with the 7 pin Toshiba sound pretty good stock or with minimal mods, IMO.

5thumbs
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by 5thumbs »

I finally found my way to this forum as well, soulsonic. :) Thanks for the kind words on my doc.

That's an older version, so I've attached the latest version (also on diystompboxes.com).
Last edited by 5thumbs on 29 Jan 2009, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Modding a DS-1? Please read 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion'.

"Other than a good first-in-line buffer/booster, using other FX to improve bad clean tone is like gift-wrapping garbage."

5thumbs
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by 5thumbs »

mojah63 wrote:I heard the changed the opamp again to the NJM3404AL in late 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOSS

Scroll down about halfway.... There's a post on the other board about that in march
Yup, that's correct. I wrote the NJM3404AL update to that Wikipedia article right after I updated my own 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc.

FWIW, I like the new NJM3404AL better than its predecessor, the M5223AL chip. It's a fairly flat, clean dual opamp IC that is also pretty darn cheap (or at least was the last time I looked.) I still like the Burr Brown OPA2134PA best in the DS-1, but the NJM3404AL is quite good to my ears as well.
Last edited by 5thumbs on 29 Jan 2009, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

"Other than a good first-in-line buffer/booster, using other FX to improve bad clean tone is like gift-wrapping garbage."

5thumbs
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by 5thumbs »

sugarinthegourd wrote:

Someone just gave me an old DS-1. It's an early MIJ one with the Toshiba TA7136AP chip.

Anyone know for sure?

thanks...
You could do some of the Keeley mods if you wanted to, but some of Keeley's mods simply put the post-1994 DS-1 values back to those in the Made-In-Japan (MIJ), pre-1994 pedals like the one you've got.

I learned this while writing my DS-1 doc, particularly the section about "How Do I Modify My Post-1994 DS-1 To Match The Original DS-1?" section. In the end, I ended up with the "MIJ Mod", in which you modify 3 components to make the post-1994 DS-1 sound very similar to the pre-1994, MIJ DS-1. I have both pre- and post-1994 units, so I've A/B'd them to ensure the mod accomplished my goal.

For those of you wanting the mod details...

Mod Steps:
1. Change C7 from 100pF ceramic disc capacitor to a 250pF ceramic disc capacitor.
2. Change C8 from 0.47μF/50V aluminum electrolytic capacitor to 1uF/50V aluminum electrolytic capacitor; save the 0.47μF/50V cap for the next step.
3. Remove the 0.068μF film capacitor from C5 and replace it with the 0.47μF/50V aluminum electrolytic capacitor previously removed from C8 in Step 2.

5thumbs
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by 5thumbs »

quaternotetriplet wrote:Hi, did someone built the true bypass version of ds-1?
It's been successfully built on breadboard, but I've never built it on PCB personally. Why? I've got five DS-1 pedals with various mods (and one stock MIJ DS-1), so I really don't want another one on the shelf.

FWIW, if you (or anyone else reading this) successfully builds the TB DS-1 on my layout, please send me some pics of your build and I'll give you build-verification credit in the doc.

5thumbs
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by 5thumbs »

I updated the 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc, with a minor update to the VR-MIJ mod. (I changed C10 from 0.010μF to 0.027μF to cut the treble a bit before the BMP-style tone control.)

5thumbs
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by 5thumbs »

Latest update, corrected a labeling mistake on the TB DS-1 layout diagram (switched SPDT1 and SPDT2 label locations), combined the 'VR-MIJ' and 'VR-MIJ-HG' into one mod ("Vintage Ripper).

All this was housecleaning in prep for documenting a new mod I'm preparing to add in the next week or so. I'll update again once I'm happy with it and got it all documented.

Cheers until then!