EarthQuaker Devices - Hoof Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Check; nice inside shot!

My guess? Big Muff with 2N130X transistors with LED's as diodes for the fuzz stages.

Edit: found another gut shot at Discofreq

Edit2: from their werbiste:
Hoof Fuzz
EarthQuaker Devices Hoof Fuzz can produce sounds all the way from gritty overdrive to a huge wall of doom! It is a germanium/ silicon hybrid big muff style fuzz (it's based on the old green Sovtek Big Muff but it's a pretty different dude now) with massive amounts of volume and sustain on tap. It has a tighter sound than most muff's which makes palm muting an option and open chords ring out clear. The altered tone control (as well as a few other keys changes) eliminate the problem of being lost in the mix and sends your guitar ragin' on it's way!
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

2n1304's for Q2 and Q3 it looks like. 2n3904 for Q1 and Q4.

disorder
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by disorder »

anyone have the values for this beast?

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

I made a Russian big muff with supposed specifications of this pedal. I tried it quickly , it seems to sound good but I haven't tried it more because I haven't box to put it into.

I believe it used LED in feedback loop, low gain transistor , and a Mids control (AMZ presence control).

disorder
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by disorder »

I figured that's what the added fourth control was. Shouldn't be too hard to wire up to an existing Big muff board.

I know it uses LED's in the earlier stage and then silicon diodes as well. Not sure if he changed any of the resistor or cap values.

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Poof.
Attachments
34fbgwo.jpg
34fbgwo.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
2yoe2yq.jpg
2yoe2yq.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 6485 times

Lawnchair
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Lawnchair »

I had the 3 knobber here for a few months. Didn't quite stand up to a vintage Russian green. It lacked the huge low end when you crank the tone to the left. A bit scoopier too.
Just didn't seem worth tracing.

SGJarrod
Information

Post by SGJarrod »

Has anyone got any new info?..such as a layout for the 4 knob version...If somebody had a vero layout they would be my personal hero for the day :thumbsup

Valoosj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Valoosj »

Does anybody have a picture of the trace side of the board? I wouldn't mind producing a schematic if I have the right pictures.
Bazinga!

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Are those high gain Germaniums? I thought you needed at least 300 hFe to make this circuit work well.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

azrael wrote:Are those high gain Germaniums? I thought you needed at least 300 hFe to make this circuit work well.
Depends on your idea of working well.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

And yes, they are

Sadcadaver
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavy Bandit
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Russian Muff, Distortus Maximus, and a couple of custom DOOM muffs.

Post by Sadcadaver »

A friend wants me to build him a Musikding Russian Muff kit, and I suggested we try swapping out the trannies and diodes to make it more like the hoof. However, those Germanium trannies are a bit expensive to just 'try'. Can anyone else suggest some cheaper alternatives? Doctor Tweek has some AC176's but they only have hfe between 50 and 180. Musikding has some AC141's. What are they like?

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

I used some silicons around 120 hFe, and just increased the B-C junction cap to around 800 pF. Seems like a very hoofy build to me.

Sadcadaver
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavy Bandit
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Russian Muff, Distortus Maximus, and a couple of custom DOOM muffs.

Post by Sadcadaver »

I was planning on socketing the transistors and clipping diodes anyway, and I'm suspecting it's the diodes that make all the difference. I'd still like to try some high gain Germaniums though, but thanks for the input.

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

The diodes make the circuit, of course. That much is obvious. But the germaniums can be seen as having a treble roll off than silicon, so I wanted to use the Miller effect to my advantage and increased that treble roll off cap to make then sound more like germanium.

The transistors themselves are not doing any clipping, so making them germanium seemed useless.

I use some red LEDs, for clipping.

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

On the Hoof use from 100R to 51R on the germaniums emmiter resistors for best results and LEDs with a voltage knee of 1.8V for the smoothnes in their
clipping section

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

oh yeah, i used 100 ohm emitter resistors as that's what i could see in the gutshots posted. :)

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

What I like to do in big Muff circuits is use 15k (instead of 8k2) into the second stage, then 1K (instead of 8K2) into the third stage.

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Can anyone suggest any particular mods to help make a straight-up green russian muff clone sound more like a Hoof?

It looks like 4 diodes need to be LED's instead, right? And 2 transistors need to become Ge? Any ideas on how that 4th pot ( "Shift" ) is wired in?

Any other ideas/suggestions? I built the green muff from GGG and didn't modify the design at all. But now I wish it was a Hoof. :( :mrgreen:

Schematic http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... a841b3e85a
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson