My mission to modify a Peavey Bandit 112 into a boutique amp

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
microbailey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by microbailey »

Hi steben
steben wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 21:15 Did you manage to record some tones?
No still didn't get around to recording dome demos with this amp. Have been busy on designing Blackstar amp mods and forgot about this tbh!
It's back on my list of stuff to do again now.
I swapped the speaker with Eminence Swamp Thang and it became such a bodied amp in an instant. Speakers are gold not only in tube amps, even more in SS.
Agree. Speaker change (in my case to a Jensen because I wanted a Fender clean sound) makes a huge difference from the stock. If you do one upgrade to your amp it should be speaker to give most bang for buck.
Another thing I did was adding some master volume control AFTER the T dynamics circuit. See below in red rectangle: it is a 47k / 50k pot in series with the feedback tail. At 50k and T dynamics at 10% one now has 0.65 crancked Watts
That's an interesting mod you did there. When I was doing these mods to my Bandit I was focused mostly on the pre-amp and didn't tinker with the T-dynamics.
"There's something about a Gucci loafer kicking on a fuzz pedal" Alex Turner, Arctic Monkeys

loidrish
Information

Post by loidrish »

That's an interesting mod you did there. When I was doing these mods to my Bandit I was focused mostly on the pre-amp and didn't tinker with the T-dynamics.
Do you think the Tdynamics circuit on the newer version of the bandit (cyclops logo) works the same way? Adding the same 47/50k after the Tdynamics could let me reduce the crancked watts?

microbailey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by microbailey »

loidrish wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 04:38 Do you think the Tdynamics circuit on the newer version of the bandit (cyclops logo) works the same way? Adding the same 47/50k after the Tdynamics could let me reduce the crancked watts?
I honestly don't know. I can see that the schematic posted by steben is not so far from the Red Stripe Bandit I modded, so I'm guessing Peavey didn't change the T-Dynamics circuit much over the amp versions. In my Red Stripe the T-Dyn pot is on a daughter card behind the front-panel, and that place steben has pot the new pot is, in my case, the ribbon connector J27A pin 6 on the daughter card. However steben's schematic does not show a daughter card so perhaps Peavey moved it all on to the main power amp PCB?

If you do try this mod (and I haven't so no idea what it sounds like) you need to watch out that the T-Dyn pot is a dual-gang - I mean it's 2 pots on the same shaft giving 2x3=6 terminals total. So you need to make sure you put the new 50k pot in series with the correct half of the pot. From my Red Stripe schematic and from steben's it appears to be the one with the 10k resistor connected across it.

Let us know how this mod goes for you.
"There's something about a Gucci loafer kicking on a fuzz pedal" Alex Turner, Arctic Monkeys

merseymale
Information

Post by merseymale »

N E C R O B U M P!!

a BANDIT was my 1st ever Amp but
it was only borrowed!

Finally just got one of my very own courtesy of eBay BUT can anyone advise, please?

IS this an aftermarket Mod'
or is it original...?

It looks like a master volume for a valve amp but surely a bandit would't need it?!

(Should I just Plug In & turn it..?) :horsey:
Attachments
953FDA10-0705-43E2-83F7-AD4CA73B059A.jpeg
1D42461B-168C-4428-9B67-52845CD48340.jpeg
408489E1-E20A-4E58-949D-83A54A1F0D18.jpeg
73206B23-AB22-499D-A1E4-A9F789F4CAD9.jpeg

merseymale
Information

Post by merseymale »

loidrish wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 04:38
Do you think the Tdynamics circuit on the newer version of the bandit (cyclops logo) works the same way? Adding the same 47/50k after the Tdynamics could let me reduce the crancked watts?
Let us know how this mod goes for you.
I'd really like to know how this mod sounds as well!