mxr phase 95 mini : 90mode inaudible

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
severthee
Information

Post by severthee »

Good day,

I'm trying to fix my phase 95 mini. smd
the 90mode is inaudible, the 45 is working fine.
I thought the switch was the problem, but seem like the mxr switch is different from the center common switch I used.
I know is PITA to work on smd , but If someone can help which component to check or replace, i can work things out.
Sorry I dont know which schematic they used for this too

here's the board
the 45/90 switch is on the right on this pic. I just desoldered it from the pic, it's well soldered now

here's a video

Thanks!

Eparker
Information

Post by Eparker »

Did you ever figure it out? I have the same issue. Thanks!

rockrock1127
Information

Post by rockrock1127 »

Hi, now is 2023. Not sure if you have ever found solution or not. I've fixed it luckily hope it can help somebody.

I just bought an used MXR Phaser 95 from local guitarist. The problem is same as yours. Barely no output when switched to 90 mode. I tried to debug it but the SMD layout has too much components I don't have much time to track back the actual schematic. Finally I was very lucky to have fixed it.

The PCB layout design is pretty weird. As the PCB picture you posted. The right side 6 pin DPDT switch (which is for selecting 90/45), 2 pins between R30 & R35 (lower right 2 of 6 pins) is tied together. Which means this node will be always conducted with another pin below R27 no matter this DPDT is on or off. I am not sure whether the lower side SPDT of 6 pin DPDT was soldered or not. Whatever my Phaser 95 is worked normally after I cut off these 3 pins.

I still very curious about the original design so I'm trying to googling something and I only find this post. Whether this DPDT switch was only soldered one side or it is a special switch has customized switching rule? I just wonder it.