Capacitor to Ground on input?

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
Yazoo55
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Yazoo55 »

I am tracing out the preamplifier for a piezo acoustic guitar pickup but what is puzzling me is that the input goes through one capacitor to the non-inverting input of an op-amp AND a capacitor which goes directly to ground. The circuit is surface mount so it is not possible to determine the values of the non-Aluminium Electrolytic caps. Can anybody explain to me what the capacitor to ground is doing please?

The attached image shows the circuit fragment. The buffered op amp output then goes through a tone control and another buffered op amp stage before going through a volume control on the output. I have not shown the rest of the circuit, which I think I can understand OK.
Attachments
Circuit_fragment.png
Circuit_fragment.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Probably there to help filter out RF interference. Likely something in the pF range.

What is the thing you're tracing? Would be helpful if we knew what exactly it was. Can you post photos of it?
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

julessouren
Information

Post by julessouren »

Assuming the input wire is 0.1 ohms, you'll have an approximate150 kHz low pass filter. With 1 ohm input resistance the frequency drops tenfold, well into the audible range.