Switch to change order of effects

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
Grimiss
Information

Post by Grimiss »

Hi,

I am currently building a dual delay pedal using 2 discrete PCB kits that are two different types of delay.

I am housing them in one pedal enclosure, so at the moment Delay A runs into Delay B. However, I would like to add a switch to change the direction/order of the effects. ie Delay A -> Delay B when the switch is one way and Delay B -> Delay A with the switch the other way.

Does anyone know of a simple way to do this?

Please note that I'm fairly new to pedal building, so simple instructions and/or diagrams would be welcome!!

Thanks in advance.

Grim

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

you can do it with a 3PDT switch easily.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

See, easy...
OrderSwap1.JPG
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

fantasma
Information

Post by fantasma »

Hi there
Sorry, I don't know how to read that schematic and I have a 3dpt Toggle Switch I must use in a friend's 2 in 1 box.
I've did that offboard wiring based on one General Guitar Gadgets image of a loop order switch.
Do you think this could work? I'm not sure about both 3dpt effect switches.
Thank you in advance!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yes, that will work to switch the order of two circuit paths, each with their own bypass switch
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

fantasma
Information

Post by fantasma »

Great! Thank you... I'm not sure about grounding both 3pdt switches, is that neccessary? I'm trying to simplify the connection on the DC Jack, but maybe it's better to have some star ground or simply all cables to the DC or Plug jacks as well...

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

The grounds are only needed if you want to turn on an LED when a circuit is active, ground the input of a circuit while it's bypassed, or both.
If you mean: can you daisy chain the grounds from one 3PDT to the other rather than running them individually back to a star ground point or the DC jack? Yes, you can, and I don't think you will hear a difference.

fantasma
Information

Post by fantasma »

Oh yes, I need LEDs and the Input grounded, so, I will connect them as usual on simple effects. I don't know why it gets complicated when adding more units, somehow my mind try to think the wrong way, complex things in vain... maybe it's the quarantine hehehe... thanks!

fantasma
Information

Post by fantasma »

Verified! Worked perfectly, hope it helps other diyers here.
Thanks to everyone! Cheers