Kingsley - Harlot Tube Overdrive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
beniboy87
Information

Post by beniboy87 »

I guess something like this should be cheap and easy to try: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32926216972.html
What I can see from the pictures, the original PSU in the pedal is a similar thing, uses the same IC.

I googled this IC to see if I can find some schematics and there are a dozen different types, for example: https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.co ... k15cm1.gif

megatrav
Information

Post by megatrav »

Posting an update- I am not able to get to the little orange/yellow cap to see what it is or what the value is. I am sorry I couldn't be more help with this.
I am also listing the pedal for sale with the Kingsley Gain Mode Switch (need the money). Most people list them for far more than what they paid, but I have mine listed for what I paid for them.

Hopefully I can build a clone one day. I would recommend to maybe email Simon from Kingsley. He is a really nice guy and might be able to provide more information on the power supply itself.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi folks,

The schematic diagram of this pedal is VERY similar to SIB Varidrive :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21899

Cheers,
Jose

Vurguuz
Information

Post by Vurguuz »

I wonder why these types of pedals choose to power the transistor off the high voltage rail instead of the readily available 9V? For headroom when pushed by something powerful?

smear
Information

Post by smear »

Vurguuz wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 18:24 I wonder why these types of pedals choose to power the transistor off the high voltage rail instead of the readily available 9V? For headroom when pushed by something powerful?
looks to me like the 2N5458 is getting ~42V.

if the goal of your pedal is tube overdrive, you don't want your input transistor to overdrive first.

if it was only getting 9V, then any 18V boost pedal would clip the transistor first.

also, it looks like the 9V only connects to the regulators, and isn't used elsewhere. so the wiring is probably easier tapping off the same rail as the tubes.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

did you mean 24 volts? 42 volts is way beyond the spec for 2n5458.

smear
Information

Post by smear »

CheapPedalCollector wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 02:53 did you mean 24 volts? 42 volts is way beyond the spec for 2n5458.
i was estimating based on the divider in the most second schematic: 330k and 68k fed by 250V.

the earlier schematic suggests it's fed by 237V, which would give ~40V at that point. but it's measured at 27V on the earlier schematic, so perhaps i'm missing something.