GasPedals - Dumbbell  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

Hey sonicmojo when you're cleaning up workbench do not crumple the paper and throw in the trash, otherwise all praise for your effort. :thumbsup

sonicmojo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sonicmojo »

apollomusicservice wrote:Hey sonicmojo when you're cleaning up workbench do not crumple the paper and throw in the trash, otherwise all praise for your effort. :thumbsup
I rebuilt it with most of the original parts and replaced a couple of LEDs and caps before passing it on. It worked the same so it is alive and kicking somewhere out there in the wild.....

sonicmojo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sonicmojo »

bluesman007 wrote:Hey quick q. What does it mean by dumbbell "V2". Does that mean version 2? The pedal I was looking for was the single knob 2 switch (one boost one od) version I see on YouTube but if this is the same pedal just more knobs or something then thats cool! Another question, where can I find this specific IC at? And does it have to be 2 red LEDs or can I change up the colors? Thanks for all the help!
I don't know how different the single knob version is since nobody has looked into that that I know of. My best guess is that mostly the tone and gain are internal adjustments with trimmers instead of external pots on V1. V2 has no internal trimmers. I've tried blue LEDs and different opamps and you will get a slightly different sound. You can get the 5532 dual opamp at most online stores. Any dual opamp will work and you might want to just experiment by using an IC socket.

Fender074
Information

Post by Fender074 »

Hey everyone I'm new here and this is my first post..still finding my way round couldn't find a introduction thread so I'll do it here. I've just started out building pedals nothing to complex. a Fuzz Face, SHO and a TS (not for profit) just to tinkle away with at home.
My recent attention has been turned to wanting to build the V1 of the Gaspedals Dumbbell 1 knob two switches. Since there long discontinued there near enough impossible to buy. I've looked high and low on the internet as well as on here scouring through at least 50 pages of all the threads does anyone have a schematic or a link to the PCB and even better parts list? I don't think its a too complex build as there is only one knob to the whole pedal but it sounds amazing from all the clips I've heard.

Any help much appreciated
Tim

Stellablue
Information

Post by Stellablue »

Fender074 wrote:Hey everyone I'm new here and this is my first post..still finding my way round couldn't find a introduction thread so I'll do it here. I've just started out building pedals nothing to complex. a Fuzz Face, SHO and a TS (not for profit) just to tinkle away with at home.
My recent attention has been turned to wanting to build the V1 of the Gaspedals Dumbbell 1 knob two switches. Since there long discontinued there near enough impossible to buy. I've looked high and low on the internet as well as on here scouring through at least 50 pages of all the threads does anyone have a schematic or a link to the PCB and even better parts list? I don't think its a too complex build as there is only one knob to the whole pedal but it sounds amazing from all the clips I've heard.

Tim
Check page 7 of this thread for a link to the 3 knob layout on veroboard. There's also a hand drawn 1 knob layout. If you find a PCB let me know.

Fender074
Information

Post by Fender074 »

Stellablue wrote:
Fender074 wrote:Hey everyone I'm new here and this is my first post..still finding my way round couldn't find a introduction thread so I'll do it here. I've just started out building pedals nothing to complex. a Fuzz Face, SHO and a TS (not for profit) just to tinkle away with at home.

Tim
Check page 7 of this thread for a link to the 3 knob layout on veroboard. There's also a hand drawn 1 knob layout. If you find a PCB let me know.
Hey Stellablue thanks for the reply! Which thread I couldn't see a link sorry!

Stellablue
Information

Post by Stellablue »

Fender074
Information

Post by Fender074 »

Sorry but could someone tell me which image is the one knob Dumbbell Schematic? :thumbsup

thanks Tim

box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

Fender074 wrote:Sorry but could someone tell me which image is the one knob Dumbbell Schematic? :thumbsup

thanks Tim
Hi,
I think that you are looking for this one. :D
Bypass it is typical 3PDT.
Rgds,
box
Attachments
Dumbbell_1knob.jpg
Dumbbell.png

Fender074
Information

Post by Fender074 »

Thank you very much good sir!

sjturbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sjturbo »

Has anyone here actually built this pedal using this vero layout? If so what were your impressions? I have heard a couple of ytube clips and I thought the original sounded good.

jallenshaw
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jallenshaw »

I have built the 3-knob version from IVIark from his blog, and it is my current favorite OD. It has a certain vocal quality, especially when you dig into the strings hard....very touch responsive.
I ended up with green 3mm LED's for the clipping diodes and a TL082 for the opamp.
When run in front of a Himmelstrutz Fetto, it's simply heavenly (into my Dumbe-ish modded 74 Twin Reverb)

JAS

box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

sjturbo wrote:Has anyone here actually built this pedal using this vero layout? If so what were your impressions? I have heard a couple of ytube clips and I thought the original sounded good.
Hi,
you can build from this vero and if you are not happy always you can come back to Mark's vero (3knob version) just only remove 2 jumpers.
Of course pay attention regarding gain (remove 510k resistor) and connect gain pot 250k.Tone just replaced 10k with 7.15k and connect 10k pot.
Here you can find demo:
http://harryj.net/DumbBell_4.mp3
Rgds,
box

Stellablue
Information

Post by Stellablue »

Box, that's a very nice, detailed schematic. Even a rube like me might be able to follow it. I might try it as my first Vero attempt. Thanks

box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

Stellablue wrote:Box, that's a very nice, detailed schematic. Even a rube like me might be able to follow it. I might try it as my first Vero attempt. Thanks
Hi,
Thanks , I hope that can be useful.
Rgds,
box

pamaz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pamaz »

built it today ( 1 knob) and still not boxed.
Its' simply excellent .
I prefer it over a lot of other dumble based stomps.
And tomorrow I'll build the 3 knob version.
Thanks you Box for the schemo!

Fender074
Information

Post by Fender074 »

I'm going to be building one of these in the next few days I'll let you know how it turns out! Box thanks for the Schematic!

Pamaz thats great! Be interesting to hear a demo between the two! :thumbsup

pappasmurfsharem
Information

Post by pappasmurfsharem »

I just whipped up my first PCB in eagle and sent an order to OSH Park for this.

Without the boost switch just since its more of a test of eagle and the fab process since I've never used either before.
Eagle said all the connections were solid so lets hope for the best.

I'll have an extra board or two, if it turns out they'll be available.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Hi,

which LED-brand, LED-type as clipping diodes are recommended to get the best sound?

box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

Manfred wrote:Hi,

which LED-brand, LED-type as clipping diodes are recommended to get the best sound?
Hi,
it's recommended red 3mm and IC nice result with MC1458 (1458 series)- low current consumption .
With NE5532 - more curent consumption(7 X than 1458) and sound not as 1458.
Rgds,
box