Caline CP-511 Enchanted Tone  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Antigua
Information

Post by Antigua »

Another Caline overdrive. They're so cheap, I see it I buy it. With this pedal they heavily allude to it being Dumble inspired, and there are a lot of "Dumble in a box" pedals it could be based on.

Caline came out with e Big Muff clone too, the "B-Fuzz", but I haven't bothered to open that up because I can tell you right now it sounds identical to my Nano Muff. What miniscule difference exists could owe to component tolerances.

Antigua
Information

Post by Antigua »

OK, I figured this one out, it's a "Vertex Steel String", an earlier version of the pedal that didn't have a toggle switch. The components match this diagram exactly http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2018 ... tring.html

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Antigua wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 17:24 OK, I figured this one out, it's a "Vertex Steel String", an earlier version of the pedal that didn't have a toggle switch. The components match this diagram exactly http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2018 ... tring.html
The effectslayouts.blogspot.com page links freestompboxes.org for the schematic :lol: .

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

Also... :roll:

Antigua
Information

Post by Antigua »

Frank_NH wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 02:44 Also... :roll:

I see it said on another forum that the Six String Singer is a copy of the Booster 2.5 Maybe, but in any case, the two schematics above are only about 85% the same, and Caline pedal is much closer to the Six String Singer schematic. . In fact, they're so different that I'd be surprised if they sounded wholly alike. The topography is very similar, but the component values around the tone control are all fairly different, and elsewhere.

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

Antigua wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 05:12
Frank_NH wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 02:44 Also... :roll:

I see it said on another forum that the Six String Singer is a copy of the Booster 2.5 Maybe, but in any case, the two schematics above are only about 85% the same, and Caline pedal is much closer to the Six String Singer schematic. . In fact, they're so different that I'd be surprised if they sounded wholly alike. The topography is very similar, but the component values around the tone control are all fairly different, and elsewhere.
Well, the Vertex version of the Booster 2.5 circuit does use R.G. Keen's noiseless biasing scheme for mu amps, as described here:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/m ... dmuamp.htm

And, true, there are some component mods to the tone control and few other places. The manufacturer describes the circuit as follows: "Designed alongside a real Steel String Singer (#001), this 100% analog tone tool will do it all from Overdrive, to Fat Boost, to Compression, to EQ shaping and more. "

stolen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by stolen »

Hey,
got one of these the other day mostly because the artwork is adorable and we needed smth low gain ish anyways. The stock circuit was a little bit tame for us and lacked bite, so we bypassed the first stage mu amp source with a 47nF cap and it worked wonders. You can perform this mod without disassembling the pedal, just solder in the capacitor as shown. We tried boosting the second stage too but we didn't like it much, but if you do want to try we'd recommend a higher value cap there, maybe an electrolyte. We marked the 2nd stage mu amp source and nearby jack ground in the pic too.
Maybe this helps someone some day!
enchanted_mod.jpeg

dmc777
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dmc777 »

I’ve always found this pedal to be dull and lifeless. Really suprised that it’s
a clone of a popular pedal.

Aggressive_Value2369
Information
my favorite amplifier: Roland dac 10
Completed builds: Treble booster, green ringer and fuzz face (pcbs)

Post by Aggressive_Value2369 »

stolen wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 18:04 Hey,
got one of these the other day mostly because the artwork is adorable and we needed smth low gain ish anyways. The stock circuit was a little bit tame for us and lacked bite, so we bypassed the first stage mu amp source with a 47nF cap and it worked wonders. You can perform this mod without disassembling the pedal, just solder in the capacitor as shown. We tried boosting the second stage too but we didn't like it much, but if you do want to try we'd recommend a higher value cap there, maybe an electrolyte. We marked the 2nd stage mu amp source and nearby jack ground in the pic too.
Maybe this helps someone some day!

enchanted_mod.jpeg
Are you two separate people? Or the late queen of england?