S. Whitt, Audio Compressor, in: Practical Electronics, January 1976 🇬🇧

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

PDF:
Practical-Electronics-1976-01 Audio Compressor.pdf
(455.8 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Practical-Electronics-1976-01 Audio Compressor 01.jpg
Practical-Electronics-1976-01 Audio Compressor 02.jpg
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

That looks too simple not to build.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Basically, it varies the working point of the transistor by moving its bias, thereby varying its gain. This was an approach used in some communications receivers in the 60's as a crude "audio AGC". It tends to introduce lots of distortion (it'll be a slightly squeezed fuzz sound), which doesn't matter too much in a communications receiver, but is simply NOT hi-fi enough for most purposes.

Other - slightly unusual - approaches to gain changing stages I've experimented with include using a "diode attenuator", where the current through a couple of diodes varies their dynamic impedance. This works well, and as long as your audio is only a few tens of millivolts, it works without significant distortion.

Other approaches include using ordinary bipolar transistors as voltage-controlled attenuators, using LDRs (as in the Really Cheap Compressor), using transconductance amplifiers (as in the Dynacomp), and using transconductance amps in the negative feedback loop of op-amps (my favourite method).

If you try the above circuit, don't be surprised if you get LOTS of distortion and noise!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"