DOD - FX82 Bass Compressor  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
jrc4558
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jrc4558 »

Hi!
I have recently got a DOD FX82 and wanted to mod it for guitar. While it shouldn't take more than adjusting corner frequencies in appropriate places, I still thought that a peek at the schematic would be nice. So far I only opened it once and saw one CA3080, one dual opamp, the switching IC and several transistors. Can it be a buffered dynacomp derivative (like that series 10 Ibanez?) If anyone has a schem - it would be greately appreciated!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

Hi,

Do you still have this pedal i know this was posted a while back but some nice guts shots of it would be great so a schematic can be done and should be easy enough to mod it for guitar frequency. Same theory when you want to use a guitar pedal on a bass. for bass you double the cap values in the signal path for guitar you half the cap values in the signal path. You can use mathematical formula's to derive what frequency's you want but the the half double option usually works i've used it on many guitar pedals and they certainly then come alive on bass. It''s funny though my guitarist mate reckons i destroy a good pedal as they don't sound the best on a guitar once modded for bass. ahahahahaha. Fuck the guitarists :lol: hahahaha
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

thanks dirk for that link but do you know by chance is the fx80b with release the same as the fx82 are they different beasts or just cap changes i wonder.
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

pedalgrinder wrote:thanks dirk for that link but do you know by chance is the fx80b with release the same as the fx82 are they different beasts or just cap changes i wonder.
uuhm,
You have a schem for an FX80
You have a FX82.

Happy comparing i'd say.

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

no i don't have one but i've been trying to get one. when and if i get one i will share it.

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote: You have a schem for an FX80
pedalgrinder wrote: no i don't have one but i've been trying to get one.
Maybe you could be more successful when you would click on the posted link ?:
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

what the hell are you rambling about tube exorcist learn to read the thread i was refering to a fx-82 schematic. Maybe you should read the thread!! Bananna!

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

pedalgrinder wrote:what the hell are you rambling about tube exorcist learn to read the thread i was refering to a fx-82 schematic. Maybe you should read the thread!! Bananna!
Maybe you should learn how to read:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:You have a schem for an FX80
You have a FX82.

Happy comparing i'd say.
Or are you so stupid, tht you need an extra explanation ? No problem, here it is:

You have a schematic diagram for a Dod FX80 compressor
You have a Dod FX82 Bass Compressor, in your hands which uses the same circuit board as the Dod FX80.
ImageImage
Even your grandmother was able to find the 5 differences between two pictures which where printed in her newspaper. The reason for this is simple: "Sanity is the ability to recognize differences, similarities and identities." Obviously your grandmather was sane.

Asssuming that you are sane too, it should be possible for you to find out the differences between the schematic and the pedal you have in your hands. Your grandmother hat fun comparing the two pictures in her newspaper.

Happy comparing i'd say.

Feel free to tell me, if you need any further assistance - I am a very patient and helpful guy.
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Chill Pedalgrinder!

I don't follow you either.

I gave you a link to the FX80 schematic. You have an FX82 yourself. That means that, if they are similar, you just have to follow the FX80's schematic while tracing the FX82 and find the difference. Therefore, in my book, as well as in Tube-E's book, it seems you have all to do the comparison between an FX80 and an FX82. Right now the work is up to you.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Pics don't work.

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

i never said i had a fx82 i said i was looking for one. If i had one i wouldn't be asking questions. Thats why i asked dirk if he knew of a difference otherwise i would keep looking. Then i am told to read thread. And everyone wonders why i fired back. I only wanted to know if there was a schematic for the fx-82 allready otherwise i will keep hunting for one and if i find one i will share it. I was appreciative of dirks input but i don't thing it was understood or i did not explain myself properly i can be at fault at that at times. So thats all this stuff was about. I do read threads right through. I do make mistakes also iam human. Which i have also done at times.

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

pedalgrinder wrote:i never said i had a fx82 i said i was looking for one.
No, you never said that - you exactly said:
pedalgrinder wrote:no i don't have one but i've been trying to get one. when and if i get one i will share it.
I don´t believe, that you wanted to cut a pedal into pieces and "share it". Therefore the "I don´t have one" can only refer to a schematic of the Dod FX82 - because the schematic of the FX80 you already had:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 42#p163242

Maybe the problem could be in some lack of skills for a correct expression ?
pedalgrinder wrote:Here we go threadjacked hahhaha
pedalgrinder wrote:... mictester????? hahahahah your the best man :lol: hahahaha
pedalgrinder wrote:ahahahahaha. Fuck the guitarists :lol: hahahaha
pedalgrinder wrote:Maybe you should read the thread!! Bananna!
pedalgrinder wrote:who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Hmm.
Apologies from my side for too swift reading (back) the start of this thread. Otherwise I would have noticed the TS for this thread was jrc4558 and not pedalgrinder. That in turn means I never would have suggested pedalgrinder to do the comparison.

And, seemingly, Tube-Exorcist completely relied on my reading (which he knows very well never to trust) and failed to read back either before he quoted me. Therefore I would suggest Tube-Exorcist to apologize as well.

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote: Therefore I would suggest Tube-Exorcist to apologize as well.
For sure - when you can tell me for what I should apologize.
That I quoted you?
That I understood pedalgrinders response the only way it was possible to understand (correctly) ?
That I emphasized the link to the schematic in a helpful way?
tube-exorcist wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:You have a schem for an FX80
pedalgrinder wrote:no i don't have one (a schematic) but i've been trying to get one.
Maybe you could be more successful (to get a schematic) when you would click on the posted link ?:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8432
That I didn´t say: "Thanks pedalgrinder, that you shit on my head for my help" ?:
pedalgrinder wrote:what the hell are you rambling about, tube exorcist, learn to read the thread i was refering to a fx-82 schematic. Maybe you should read the thread!! Bananna!
Dirk, please tell me for what I should apologize and then I will do it.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

jrc4558 wrote:Hi!
I have recently got a DOD FX82 and wanted to mod it for guitar. While it shouldn't take more than adjusting corner frequencies in appropriate places, I still thought that a peek at the schematic would be nice. So far I only opened it once and saw one CA3080, one dual opamp, the switching IC and several transistors. Can it be a buffered dynacomp derivative (like that series 10 Ibanez?) If anyone has a schem - it would be greately appreciated!
I owned one back in the 80's, precisely the "Release" version and, AFAIR, not a great working tool. In fact, very hissy, so I sold it. Once you find the cicuit, I suggest figure out how to improve the quiet side.

My 2 cts

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

tube-exorcist wrote:Dirk, please tell me for what I should apologize and then I will do it.
No.

Instead an apology you spend all possible means to argument why an apology is not in place. If that't the way you prefer to spend your time I am very sure you will never will apologize in the first place. Similar to your inability to say thank you instead of the continuous desire for pissing on someones head whenever you get the chance. :roll:

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
tube-exorcist wrote:Dirk, please tell me for what I should apologize and then I will do it.
No.
.... I am very sure you will never will apologize in the first place. Similar to your inability to say thank you ....
Thank you Dirk for opening my eyes ! Now I know my mistake !

Dear pedalgrinder,
hereby I apologize that I didn´t say "Thank you" for your nice and friendly words. As you can see for yourself, I have corrected my misbehaviour in the meantime.

And thank you again, Dirk !