PCB GuitarMania Odd Caveman kit build Topic is solved

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

Hi folks,

My first post, so hello.

This will also be my first effects pedal kitbuild.
I am not an engineer, I have basic soldering skills, and I can read a map and follow guides.

First question - does anyone have photos of a completed build, the enclosure and the PCB, please?

Second question - other images I have found for the original pedal (Oddfellows Caveman, version 2), shows 4 pots, a three-position switch, and two footswitches - Bypass and Boost.
The kit includes two footswitches, and the PCB has connection points for both, but the enclosure for this pedal only has one hole drilled for a footswitch, and the drilling template associated with this model matches the enclosure I have received.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
Stuart

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

Isn't it better to contact the PCB Guitar Mania? It's their product.

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

karul wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 18:20 Isn't it better to contact the PCB Guitar Mania? It's their product.
Hi Karul.

Sure, but two of the three links for further information on their page is to this message board.
And the PCB Guitar Mania section here has... absolutely no threads.
I'm trying to avoid joining the FB group at the moment.

There has been some analysis of the original Caveman here, so my hope was that there would be a number of ppl here who've built those kits.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

Yeah, I saw the links. V2 have bigger box 1590BB, but maybe it will all fit in the smaller box. Is the enclosure pre-drilled?

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

And this is the thread, you can see some photos over there and get the idea how to make it fit in your box.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24186

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

Yes, the enclosure is pre-drilled - it matches this template:

https://pcbguitarmania.com/wp-content/u ... mplate.pdf

There's only one hole for a footswitch, while there are two on the original pedal, and two switches in the kit.
I'm ok with the idea that the cloned circuit only uses one, and the enclosure is correct, but I want to check it.
Two switches in the kit + two on the original = doubt.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

One way to go is to use the existing box. drill two new holes for footswitches, and put some plate to cover the hole in the middle. The other solution is to buy a new box, and drill the way you want, and keep this box for some other pedal. Do the measuring carefully.
Attachments
1590v.jpg

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

Look at Xotic RC Booster V2, Keeley Eccos or some other pedal with vertical orientation and two footswitches as examples.

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

Thank you Karul.

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

Ok, so I have a request into PCB Guitar Mania, but they appear to be busy, so I'll ask here too.

There's something that's a little bit confusing. Attached are two images showing the PCB and the Diodes section of the parts list.
PCB.PNG
PCB.PNG (65.44 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Diodes.PNG
Diodes.PNG (10.13 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
D2 and D3 on the board are listed as 'custom'. The only parts left unidentified in the kit are two small LEDs.
The location on the board means they would not be seen when operating.
Assuming the parts are correctly provided, are there any reasons why LEDs would be chosen over plain diodes here?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

TheGimp wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 11:02 Assuming the parts are correctly provided, are there any reasons why LEDs would be chosen over plain diodes here?
It's kinda handy that they are Light Emitting Diodes if you want to use them as indicators to show whether the effect is on or off? :D
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 12.36.41.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 12.36.41.png (51.67 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
https://pcbguitarmania.com/wp-content/u ... g-Docs.pdf
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

Hi Modman.

Yes, that'll be LED1 and LED2, for sure.
However, those are on the lower edge of the board, mounted on the back (switch/pot side when mounted in the enclosure), and there are holes in the enclosure for them.

D2 and D3 are on the component side of the board, and so would not be seen.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Ok, I get it now: the only components left for D1 and D2 seem to be red LEDs?
clippers
clippers
Those function as clipping diodes... So the answer why? This is tubescreamer mod #1 in the history of expensive boutique TS9's -- replace the clipping diodes with RED leds... Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive had this mod and many followed... but then again this suggestion will also be found in the earliest internet forums like ampage, no doubt.

So, by al means, son, solder those red leds in and enter the realm of vintage boutique tone ;-)
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

OK, so for D2 and D3, the LEDs are used to alter the signal in a way that a regular diode does not. Cool.
Thanks for that.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

TheGimp wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 12:30 OK, so for D2 and D3, the LEDs are used to alter the signal in a way that a regular diode does not. Cool.
Thanks for that.
They are all different diodes, with different characteristics. They even use a mosfet as diode clipper here... but all these differences are very subtle and maybe only noticeable at full gain...
They are nothing to obsess over... just get the box working first.

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

Thank you, Modman.

One final question...

Columbo.jpg

It's a single effect pedal with Boost and Bypass footswitches.
Do the switches need to be connected together, or can they be wired totally independently?
PCBGM's wiring guide shows either single effect without Bypass, or Dual Effect with Bypass.

I assume the wiring controls if Boost can be used without the effect?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

TheGimp wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 17:32 Thank you, Modman.

One final question...

It's a single effect pedal with Boost and Bypass footswitches.
Do the switches need to be connected together, or can they be wired totally independently?
PCBGM's wiring guide shows either single effect without Bypass, or Dual Effect with Bypass.

I assume the wiring controls if Boost can be used without the effect?
I think only the wiring for the boost switch is given in the Caveman build doc, because that's specific to this project. Regarding the BYPASS switch you should refer to the wiring guide. I think you should only take into account the first page.
https://pcbguitarmania.com/wp-content/u ... uide-1.pdf

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

I have looked already at that document - I see how the EZ-3PDT board is wired in to the FX In/Out side, and how the B1/B2 side is wired without the EZ board.

I think things may be a little clearer now.
The FX In/Out side, this is the BYPASS side.
The B1/B2 side, this is the BOOST (overdrive effect) side.

The BYPASS routes the signal around the effects circuitry, preventing 'tone suck'.
The BOOST turns the pedal's effect on or off.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

TheGimp wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 10:35 The BOOST turns the pedal's effect on or off.
No. It turns the extra boos on. But even when BOOST is OFF, your guitar goes through the overdrive circuitry.

TheGimp
Information

Post by TheGimp »

OK, modman, many thanks.
beer.gif
beer.gif (149.16 KiB) Viewed 1779 times