Boss HM-3 Hyper Metal with HM-2 EQ?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
mynameisjonas
Information

Post by mynameisjonas »

Hi,
I got an HM-3 dirt cheap a few years ago to use as a complement to my HM-2, but I always found it really hard to dial in. It's just got way too much top end sizzle regardless of where i set the EQ knobs, and there's not enough mids. So the other day I decided to try and turn the EQ section into HM-2 specs, and although it does sound a lot better now, I'm not quite there.
I need to state up front that I have no idea how to properly translate the values of the opamp EQ of the HM-2 to the transistor based EQ of the HM-3. But here's what I did:

C29: changed from 0.039uF to 0.15uF
C30: changed from 8.2nF to 6.8nF
C31: changed from 0.022uF to 0.1uF
C32: changed from 1.2nF to 4,7nF
R42: changed from 1k to 330R

HM-3 schematic
HM-2 schematic

It sounds good, but I'm not quite getting the chainsaw sound of the HM-2, plus it's still got that piercing top end sizzle (primarily noticeable when you turn down the HIGH control). Can anyone give me any pointers?

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Never owned one but,,,
Try removing C11, lift one end to test.
If too much then use a lower value Cap for C11.
Phil.

mynameisjonas
Information

Post by mynameisjonas »

Thanks for the suggestion! Removing C11 did indeed remove some of the fizz.
I looked a little closer at the components around C11 and realized it was part of a mid scoop filter together with R14, R15 and C12. I tried swapping the values of R14 and R15 (so R14 was halved and R15 was doubled), to lessen the effect of the filter, and that did the trick. I don't have my HM-2 here to compare, but the HM-3 does a really mean chainsaw sound now. It's still a bit fizzy when the HIGH control is turned down below 12 o'clock, but I doubt I'll ever find myself wanting to do that.