Wave Playground

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
woodstock_stomp
Information

Post by woodstock_stomp »

Hi Everyone,

Last week I put together a small application to play around with simple waves and audio.
wavedemo.PNG
Features

You can enter frequency, duration, amplitude, and shape to specify a wave. When you hit the "add wave" button, that wave is saved and added to the sum of all the waves you've specified so far.
The wave (and optionally the individual constituent waves) is plotted along with the frequency content. This sum is written to a wav file and played.

Repo, Build, Instructions

The repository below includes instructions in the readme for running from source. Note that Python>=3.7 is a prereq for this method. The releases page has windows and macos builds that were built with pyinstaller using a github action. The most recent build for macos (v0.2.3) is untested, but v0.1.9 should be working without the plot styling to match the application. Platform aside, the whole thing is written in Python, so start up time for the application is going to be a bit quicker if you run from source.

Repository Here

Testing hasn't been extensive but I got some friends to play around with it to verify that the features are working as intended. YMMV, let me know if there is a problem.

Background

This project evolved out of some helper scripts I threw together to make visual/audio aids for a journal post I was planning - they did some plotting and spat out a .wav file. I was not going to include any detail about the code since the post was about something entirely different, but my background is in software so it felt weird to just totally brush over the code in the post. If I was going to talk about it I had to clean it up, and one thing lead to another and I wound up taking it as a learning opportunity for PyQt and github actions.

Like any other learning project there are probably some things that I could've done a good bit differently. Open to feature suggestions and feedback if anyone wants to take a look! cheers

WavePTwo.PNG

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

That really cool. I'll check it out. I find this stuff interesting. lately I have been exporting .wav test files form ltspice to test compressors and distortion generators. Something more than just a function generator is needed to get at how things are operating.