Effects Order Switch with Insert

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
paaitken
Information

Post by paaitken »

Hi all, I am building a dual overdrive. I would like to include effects order toggle switch to change which effect is first. I am clear on how to do this using a 3PDT toggle.

I would also like to be able to insert an external pedal in between the two circuits. I am not clear on how to do this and still retain the order switch. I could do it "manually" with two independent circuits, individual input and output jacks, using a switching jack and patch cables to insert an external effect AND/OR change the order of the effects by recabling. However, I'd like to be able to have the inserted effect AND change the order without recabling, so I'd prefer two independent circuits with toggle switch to change order and patch cables just for the insert. When the inserted effect is not connected, I'd like it to function as normal, swapping the order of the two effects that are in the box. Does anyone here have an idea how to achieve this? Thanks in advance.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

Skip the LED part if you are using 3pdt. You may want to consider using a 4pdt mini toggle. Today it's easier to find them. And one bi-color LED instead two regular.
Attachments
1.webp
1.webp (27.45 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
3.webp
3.webp (19.93 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
4pdt rocker.webp
4pdt rocker.webp (11.41 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Last edited by karul on 11 May 2022, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

For the second part:

without external fx
1. in--> A --> B --> out
2. in--> B --> A --> out (switched order)

with external (E)
3. in--> A --> E --> B --> out
4. in--> B --> A --> E --> out (switched order)

You wasn't clear enough how you plan to use the external effect. If E is always after A than it's easy doable. You can use the SEND connector as switch. When nothing is inserted, signal will go directly to order switch. When plug is inserted, signal to order switch will came through RETURN connector. When external pedal is off you get 1 & 2. Turning it on, 3 & 4. It can stay plugged all the time. If you want to be able to change the order of A and E than I guess you'll need another switch for their priority/order. Too many switches ? xD
Attachments
4.webp
4.webp (20.15 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

TRS as a switch:
when nothing is inserted A and B are connected
when plug is inserted, A and B are disconnected, A is connected to plug's tip (top view)
Attachments
trs switch.webp

paaitken
Information

Post by paaitken »

Thank you so much for these! Very helpful! What I'm looking to achieve is:

Without external effect:

1. In --> A--> B --> out
2. In --> B --> A --> out (switched order)

With external effect:

3. In --> A --> E --> B --> out
4. In --> B --> E --> A --> out (switched order)

The external effect is an overdrive, so I would thus be able to put either of the circuits in the box in before of or after the external effect, and when the external effect is either disconnected or not in use, the two circuits in the box could have their order switched. I'd be OK with using an extra toggle switch in the box to enable/disable the loop.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

If you are using long cables and/or loosing too much high-end than putting a buffer at the input of the box, before all those switches, is not a bad idea. You might be fine without it. Try it without, if necessary - put a buffer too.
Last edited by karul on 12 May 2022, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

My time is limited, I'm doing this on the run. I hope I didn't made a mistake somewhere. With this wiring you will have:

1. In --> A--> B --> out
2. In --> B --> A --> out (switched order)

With external effect you will have two more options:

3. In --> A --> B --> E --> out
4. In --> A --> E --> B --> out
5. In --> B --> E --> A --> out
6. In --> E --> B --> A --> out

If nothing is inserted in external I/O, no matter in which position the BE switch is on, you always have B signal through. If you have external pedal(chain) plugged then with BE switch you can select the order of B and E.
Attachments
wiring.webp

paaitken
Information

Post by paaitken »

Thank you so much for taking the time to detail these! I really appreciate it!

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

These are gold, thank you. Working out switches for some reason makes my brain hurt... odd I can work out complex circuits otherwise.