Parallel mixing different signals and Boss DD-5...

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
zjdrummond
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30TB/6

Post by zjdrummond »

I hope this question fits in here since it isn't strictly a build question. I'm going to be using a Boss DD-5 as my stereo split on my next pedalboard. I'm hoping to find a way to experiment with parallel mixing a distortion pedal into the right channel only.

Does the DD-5 pass an analog dry signal, or does it pass a dry signal that went through the AD/DA converters when the delay is engaged? I ask because I'm concerned about latency/phase issues with mixing a parallel signal with one of the DD-5's outputs.

There will be a bunch of pedals in front on the DD-5 being used, and the parallel path won't see those pedals (probably). I'm thinking the parallel distortion will get a copy of the dry guitar pickup signal. Is it possible for any of the pedals before the DD-5 to flip the phase of the signal? How would I test that without just relying on my ear for a loss of bass?

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Looks like the analog signal reaches the "R Output" (which i guess is the "PANNING Output" on the pedal) at all times.
DD5.png
Mind the selected MODE though...
DD5-UM.png
DD5-UM.png (85.58 KiB) Viewed 839 times
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

zjdrummond
Information

Post by zjdrummond »

lolbou wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 17:00 Looks like the analog signal reaches the "R Output" (which i guess is the "PANNING Output" on the pedal) at all times.
DD5.png
Mind the selected MODE though...
DD5-UM.png
That's excellent news. Thank you for the help. I wasn't sure from reading the manual.

Any idea about the other part of my post? How do I check the mono pedals placed before the DD-5 to see if they're flipping the phase when engaged?

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

If you don't have access to a scope to visualize the signal polarity, you can look at the active signal path thru each pedal on the schematic. Counting the number of inverting stages will tell you whether the output signal is inverted or not. Odd number of inverting stages when the pedal is active = inverted output, even number = not inverted. (Zero is an even number.) Two pedals in series with inverted outputs results in a non-inverted signal. Phase is another question, we can't hear phase but a phase delay of 180 degrees has the potential to cancel a blended sine wave similar to an inverted signal. However, the more distortion and fuzz involved, the less phase will matter when blending. Since you're blending distortion, which is definitely not a sine wave, I think I'd just go for it and see if you like the result.

zjdrummond
Information

Post by zjdrummond »

mauman wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 20:16 If you don't have access to a scope to visualize the signal polarity, you can look at the active signal path thru each pedal on the schematic. Counting the number of inverting stages will tell you whether the output signal is inverted or not. Odd number of inverting stages when the pedal is active = inverted output, even number = not inverted. (Zero is an even number.) Two pedals in series with inverted outputs results in a non-inverted signal. Phase is another question, we can't hear phase but a phase delay of 180 degrees has the potential to cancel a blended sine wave similar to an inverted signal. However, the more distortion and fuzz involved, the less phase will matter when blending. Since you're blending distortion, which is definitely not a sine wave, I think I'd just go for it and see if you like the result.
What's the difference between polarity and phase?

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

This video explains phase @ time 0:00, and polarity at time 5:20.

zjdrummond
Information

Post by zjdrummond »

mauman wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 04:06 This video explains phase @ time 0:00, and polarity at time 5:20.
Thanks! Okay so phase and polarity are basically the same thing, but phase also describes the timing of the signal. Kind of reminds me of speed vs velocity. They both are the same thing, but velocity also describes the direction and speed of an object.

So I guess I should start asking the rig building geniuses if I have polarity problems.

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

For your pedalboard, I think I'd just plug everything in and see if you like how it sounds, that's really the gold standard!

zjdrummond
Information

Post by zjdrummond »

mauman wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 00:54 For your pedalboard, I think I'd just plug everything in and see if you like how it sounds, that's really the gold standard!
Not a bad suggestion. The more I think about it the less I like the idea of a parallel mix for this rig. I think I'm probably going to use an A/B box to select on the right amp's signal path to switch between the DD-5's B output, and the output of the distortion pedal. I'll feed the distortion pedal with a clone of my pre-pedalboard signal. I may find that the polarity isn't an issue, but I'll want to be able to flip it back and forth to see if I get any level reduction in the meters after I sum the stereo signals to mono.

I'm also wondering how my stereo effects will react to two different signals on their left and right signal inputs. If the left and right signals are of really different levels, I wonder if the effects will do something weird.