No volume from breadboarded fuzz face below 8ish on guitar volume

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Locrian99
Information

Post by Locrian99 »

I’ve been dinking around on a fuzz face on a breadboard for a few days now. I’ve got it pretty dialed as to how I want it at this point. One problem though no matter what I’ve done doesn’t seem to change. When I use my strat (stock 2020 players) if I turn the volume knob below about 8 I have no sound unless I have the fuzz turned all the way up (I initially was following the directions from small bear that says use a 1k anti log so this makes the turn it all the way up even worse I think, I intend to change that pot when I get a 1kb type) in which case I have sound all the way to 0 but it gets very thin/hollow sounding below 6ish. I tried my lp (stock 92 studio) and I don’t have the problem with no sound. I could have the fuzz turned way down and the guitar on 2 and I have sound. But it is a bit thin sounding still, but I would somewhat expect that I think. Anyways does anyone have a suggestion as to the cause or a remedy for it. I can’t imagine I’m the first guy to run into this unless there is something wrong with the guitar pickup/pot. But I have no other issue with any other pedal and this guitar. Here’s the schem/breadboard I followed http://beavisaudio.com/beavisboard/proj ... Rev1_1.pdf . I did change a couple things R1 is 150k, R4 is 5.1.k (collector on q2 sitting at 4.25v), added a .0068u cap between collector and base of q2 and went with 2n2222a transistors. But I had the volume issue with the regular values, all transistor combinations I tried biased or not. I use my volume knob probably more than I should and this is keeping me from putting this to vero at this point. Thanks.
DDD78EAF-9CF6-4355-B667-D0275C036F7C.jpeg