Parallel looper Issues update

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
spacecommandant
Information

Post by spacecommandant »

I was having issues with a parallel looper design and asked for advice a while back to help eliminate switch popping and circuit noise. The attached file [SCHEMATIC_Version1] shows a pop-free version; the switch popping finally disappeared after removing all pulldown resistors. The guitar signal was too quiet, though, and the circuit had a high noise floor. Although the schematic doesn't show it, I was using a voltage doubler.
The second file [SCHEMATIC_Version2] was a redesign using lower noise op amps and other changes. The switching itself remained the same. This version has switch popping issues.
The pulldown resistors at input/output/4PDT lug 4 were added later to try to eliminate the popping but didn't help. I tried lug 6 to Vref as in Version 1 but it didn't help. The LED being removed doesn't help either. I lowered all capacitors in the audio path to 100n to temporarily hear what that did when switching the 4PDT and SPDT(Tails) on and off. There was still a significant pop when either were turned to the on position.
I should note that I used an audio probe to determine that there is *almost* no pop going through the sends, mostly through the circuit output and output jack. I added a 100n capacitor after lug 2 (not shown) and this reduced the pop when switching the 4PDT to the off position.
If there's anything else worth trying, I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Attachments
SCHEMATIC_Version2.jpg
SCHEMATIC_Version1.jpg

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Random thoughts: Are you testing it with (1) other pedals in the send/return loops, or (2) nothing connected to send/return jacks, or (3) send A patched to return A, and send B patched to return B? Have you tried adding pulldown resistors to the send/return signal leads? Have you considered ventriloquism, wherein the amp or another pedal has a DC bias that makes this pedal seem to be the culprit? I have an amp that does that, every pedal connected to it pops, but none of the pedals pop with other amps.

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

One more thought: instead of doubling +9V to ~+18V and then dividing it, what about inverting +9V to -9V and using ground for your op amp reference? All the same to the op amps (18V between V+ and V- either way), same headroom, and it simplifies your power section.

And I just noticed you have both U3B and U4B biased to Vref in version 2, with DC continuity between them. Did you mean to split R30 and R31 with a cap?

spacecommandant
Information

mauman wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 21:31 Random thoughts: Are you testing it with (1) other pedals in the send/return loops, or (2) nothing connected to send/return jacks, or (3) send A patched to return A, and send B patched to return B? Have you tried adding pulldown resistors to the send/return signal leads? Have you considered ventriloquism, wherein the amp or another pedal has a DC bias that makes this pedal seem to be the culprit? I have an amp that does that, every pedal connected to it pops, but none of the pedals pop with other amps.
I'm using switched jacks so when there aren't effects in the loops the send and return connect. I've tried both with and without effects in the loops. I temporarily bypassed Pole 1 of the 4PDT and connected R5 directly to R27 and the popping disappeared so I'm trying different ideas for that part of the circuit.
I reduced the popping to a *fairly* reasonable level by reconnecting the 4PDT as it's shown in Version 2 schematic and moving the connection that's between R5 and C3 to between C1 and R1 and added a buffer before Pole 1.
I haven't yet added pulldown resistors to the sends/returns on this version but I'll do that and see what happens.
I didn't realize that particular amps could be responsible so I just tried it with a different amp and the popping was consistent.
Thanks for the advice!

spacecommandant
Information

Actually, when I configure it as I described above, the popping is very loud when I first connect it to power then fades out to a very subtle pop after 8 or 10 seconds. So, after that initial 8 or 10 second period, the pedal is usable but still annoying.

spacecommandant
Information

mauman wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 22:16 One more thought: instead of doubling +9V to ~+18V and then dividing it, what about inverting +9V to -9V and using ground for your op amp reference? All the same to the op amps (18V between V+ and V- either way), same headroom, and it simplifies your power section.
I'm not sure of the best way to do that but I'm interested in trying it out. Thanks.

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

In V2, what if you reference 4PDT lug 4 (via the 47k) and lug 6 to Vref instead of ground? Same with the Gain pot, reference lug(s) 1 of Gain A and Gain B pot to Vref instead of ground. Might reduce the C3 charge/discharge that could be causing a pop.

Or if you go with dual rail supply (+9V and -9V) use ground for all your Vref points, since ground is halfway between +9 and -9.
Op amps would have +9 to pin 8 and -9 to pin 4. You can use something like the attached as a basic inverter circuit, this part is good up to about 100 mA. If Vin is +9, Vout will be slightly less than -9. Op amps with a +/-9V supply biased at ground have the same headroom as op amps with a +18v/ground supply biased at +9V.
Attachments
Basic inverter.JPG
Basic inverter.JPG (32.92 KiB) Viewed 797 times

spacecommandant
Information

mauman wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 01:24 In V2, what if you reference 4PDT lug 4 (via the 47k) and lug 6 to Vref instead of ground? Same with the Gain pot, reference lug(s) 1 of Gain A and Gain B pot to Vref instead of ground. Might reduce the C3 charge/discharge that could be causing a pop.

Or if you go with dual rail supply (+9V and -9V) use ground for all your Vref points, since ground is halfway between +9 and -9.
Op amps would have +9 to pin 8 and -9 to pin 4. You can use something like the attached as a basic inverter circuit, this part is good up to about 100 mA. If Vin is +9, Vout will be slightly less than -9. Op amps with a +/-9V supply biased at ground have the same headroom as op amps with a +18v/ground supply biased at +9V.
I'm wondering if there's anything else that could help reduce crosstalk between channel A and B? There's still a faint signal of channel B when panned to channel A and vice versa, although it can be quite noticeable with loud effects in the chain. I was advised to raise C29 to 220u in order to get the impedance at ground to the optimum level and it did help somewhat but I'm hoping there are other ways to help. I've tried isolating ground/Vref paths where possible.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Just my observations;
Others here may know more but I would try,,
Move wiper of Balance pot to Vref, Not ground.
Then you can delete C11,12,14&15 as everything is then all Referenced to Vref. (no need to swap com points at that point in signal path)

Also no real need for R19&R24 as you already have R20 & R25.
Any reason for R28 & R32?
Lifting U3B & U4B with 100R might also cause issues as it changes the Ref point a bit.
AFAIK, with NE5532 there is no need for that, just go direct to Vref.
R30 is just wasting realestate.

I have not read through all postings but I'm assuming you are using Version 1 schem.
HTH, Phil.

spacecommandant
Information

phatt wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 13:03 Just my observations;
Others here may know more but I would try,,
Move wiper of Balance pot to Vref, Not ground.
Then you can delete C11,12,14&15 as everything is then all Referenced to Vref. (no need to swap com points at that point in signal path)

Also no real need for R19&R24 as you already have R20 & R25.
Any reason for R28 & R32?
Lifting U3B & U4B with 100R might also cause issues as it changes the Ref point a bit.
AFAIK, with NE5532 there is no need for that, just go direct to Vref.
R30 is just wasting realestate.

I have not read through all postings but I'm assuming you are using Version 1 schem.
HTH, Phil.
Thanks for your response.
I had tried moving the balance pot wiper to Vref (without deleting the capacitors you mentioned) but there was no noticeable difference.
I was advised to add R19 & R24 to isolate the outputs from stray load capacitance which can cause phase shift and oscillations.
I'll try removing R28 & R32, hopefully that can help.
BTW, I'm using Version 2 (the first image) but I think that's the one you were referencing.
Thanks again

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Whoops :oops: yes Ver2 an Yes you need to delete the caps so that it's all at Vref.
There may well be other issues lurking and I'm not keen on voltage doubling chips. better to just invest in a power brick with the voltages you need.
My whole Pedal board runs from a very quite 4Amp Computer power brick giving 19.5Vdc and regulated down to 9Vdc.
Phil.