Digitech PDS 8000 energization issue

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Stevenrb718
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stevenrb718 »

Anybody know what causes what seems to be an energization problem with these PDS pedals? The pedal will turn on instantly and light up, but the effect doesn't function until maybe 10 or so seconds. Switch to a different delay timing, and the issue starts all over. I've replaced all the aluminum caps but the issue pertains. One PDS pedal in the past had the same issue yet corrected with new caps. I have another chorus pedal of a different brand that has the same issue, but the caps are also fine. What gives?

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

From a Reverb posting for a PDS 8000:
"An interesting tid-bit-- when you first power these PDS-8000, they go through a 15 second cycle of clearing out the ram chips. Digitech had to add a warning flyer to later revisions because people thought they were broken. Just power it on and give it a few second to line itself up."

Stevenrb718
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stevenrb718 »

I thought of that, even though that's a weird explanation. However, after the effect finally sounds, flipping the delay time switch makes this "reset" time start over again. That certainly doesn't sound like it should do that. I have to check if it also does the issue after cycling the effect/bypass switch.

drewl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drewl »

Hmmm, just worked on a PDS 20/20 that does the same thing.
Also does it when switching between Flange/Chorus/Delay.

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Yeah, the PDS 20/20 manual says the same thing.
Attachments
PDS 2020 Manual.JPG

Stevenrb718
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stevenrb718 »

Interesting. I've asked around to different PDS 8000 owners, and some have the same "issue" while others do not. I can live with the delay when the pedal boots up as being a logical answer, but still causing a delay when switching between delay times feels like a problem. I have replaced all the can caps and the PN100 transistors with no luck. I can't imagine it would be the voltage regulator but I could try that. My guess is a specific IC? Kind of lost at this point.