Exar HR-03 Hammer [schematic]  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
VitaliiBobrov
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by VitaliiBobrov »

I'm continuing my Exar collection tracing, this time I traced Exar HR-03 Hammer.
Exar HR-03 Hammer top
Exar HR-03 Hammer top
Before opening it up, I thought it might be some Big Muff variation as it sounded pretty fat. My curiosity was high so when I got some free time, I finally started tracing. It is quite easy to trace Exar's single-sided PCBs, they are easy to look at traces on the light.
Exar HR-03 Hammer bottom
Exar HR-03 Hammer bottom
The PCB was labeled as SM-03, but according to Effects Database, it was announced but never released.
Exar HR-03 Hammer PCB
Exar HR-03 Hammer PCB
Exar HR-03 Hammer PCB on a light
Exar HR-03 Hammer PCB on a light
It had nothing similar to Big Muff, but a mix of Boss DS-1 and Rat circuits. Circuit blocks included: FET buffer, BJT gain stage (something you might see in DS-1), op-amp gain stage with hard clipping diodes (kinda Rat arrangement), fixed gyrator-based bass boost, passive lowpass filter (Rat-style tone control), and two BJT buffers (two were required because of buffered bypass). My friend pointed out that it looks similar to Ibanez TM5 Trash Metal circuit, and it is. A lot of values are different, but the overall layout is the same. I don't think they would sound identical due to all the changes.

Attached is the schematic without parts related to buffered bypass switching.
Attachments
exar-hr-03-hammer.pdf
Exar HR-03 Hammer schematic
(90.79 KiB) Downloaded 306 times

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

I emulated it, but the effect of the Tone pot seems really small, and just in the most higher frequency: over 7k.
It's weird because the tone cap is the 3.3nF, that we can see in the pictures.

In general, the schematic drawn like that, boost mid and high frequency. At least in my emulation.

VitaliiBobrov
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by VitaliiBobrov »

Ichabod_Crane wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 15:08 I emulated it, but the effect of the Tone pot seems really small, and just in the most higher frequency: over 7k.
It's weird because the tone cap is the 3.3nF, that we can see in the pictures.

In general, the schematic drawn like that, boost mid and high frequency. At least in my emulation.
It is basically a tone stack similar to Rat one (just tone pot wired differently), it's a simple lowpass filter - it has a pretty wide range from 471Hz to 22kHz.

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

It's very strange. I'll try to look the schematic in my emulator again. Or there's some mistake or my emulator lies.

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

At least to my eyes, this seems like quite the high gain distortion that could be really cool.

Although. I was wondering about the collector resistor on the gain transistor. 47K feels a bit high ohm value for a high gain device..

Anyway, here's a layout for HR-03. Unverified for now... (updated, fixed a missing cut from putput stage...)
Attachments
Exar-HR03-Hammer.png
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic