My Boss Katana KTN-100 Mk II Digital Modelling Amp

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Not sure if there already is a thread about one of these, but anyway, I thought I would start a thread about my Boss Katana KTN-100 Mk II digital modelling guitar amp, I bought this last year if my memory serves me right, I decided to buy one because a, it's lighter than my Marshall amp so I no longer hurt my back hauling it up and down the stairs near my flat, 2, it has 8 user presettable channels, 3, each of the 8 channels can have up to 5 virtual pedals chained in a row.

The amp also has an external FX loop, a rec/headphone out, and can be controlled via an external pedal.

There are 60 virtual pedal models available, as well as a power-control switch that lets you control the output-power of the amp, you can switch it from standby, .5W, 50W, or 100W.

To my ears the Katana is one of the best sounding digital modelling amps I've tried, I have tried a 75W Line 6 Spider but found that it has a "Digital" sound to it that's very hard to dial-out, not so with the Katana which is really easy to get a good sound out of with little effort.

Pics to come.
Attachments
Katana Front_resized.jpg
Katana Panel_resized.jpg
Katana Back_resized.jpg
GA-FC Footswitch_resized.jpg
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Boss provide a special app you can use to set-up custom sounds on each of the eight-user programmable channels, you can chain up to five virtual pedal models on each of the eight channels and store them as presets, editing each channel is very easy using the app which Boss call the Boss Tone Studio, it has sixty different virtual Boss pedal models available, each of the virtual Boss pedal models on each of the eight user programmable channels can be activated and bypassed simply by stomping on the footswitches on the GA-FC Foot Controller pedal that works with the Boss Katana amp, it's a very easy amp to get to know your way around, there's no endless scrolling through menus, no squinting at small displays, it's just like a normal standard guitar amp, I think Digital Modelling amps have come a long way, for me, the Boss Katana is fine for recording, gigging, or practicing, that's how good it sounds, and it is a very loud amp when cranked-up, I took it to an open mic/jam night and even on the 50W power setting with the master volume up half way it easily cut-through a full band mix, I'm very happy with what I got for my money, the amp itself retails for about Au$6,00.00 in Australia, I decided to pay some extra money and get the optional GA-FC Foot Controller and amp cover while I was at it.
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

There is also an extended app that can access all the hidden features of the DSP, this gives you access to many more amp models and a really nice interface. You can install both the Boss tone studio and the extended katana app on your computer and still use them both.

The extended app for hidden amp models and effects is called 'Katana FloorBoard' and can be found over at vguitarforums.com just search katana floorboard. There are different apps for the mk1 and mk2 so you will need to get the correct one for your amp just like you need the correct boss version.

Great little amps and the global eq is a must use to take the buzzy fizz out of the drives.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Ice-9 wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 17:29 There is also an extended app that can access all the hidden features of the DSP, this gives you access to many more amp models and a really nice interface. You can install both the Boss tone studio and the extended katana app on your computer and still use them both.

The extended app for hidden amp models and effects is called 'Katana FloorBoard' and can be found over at vguitarforums.com just search katana floorboard. There are different apps for the mk1 and mk2 so you will need to get the correct one for your amp just like you need the correct boss version.

Great little amps and the global eq is a must use to take the buzzy fizz out of the drives.

Geez, now that's something I didn't know even existed, I'm going to see if I can get that app cause it does sound very interesting, my Katana is the KTN-100 Mk II, cheers for that.