FUZZ FACE DIY DEBUG! I NEED HELP

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
anthrich
Information

Post by anthrich »

:applause:
I am new building guitar pedals, I finished this fuzz face circuit on a prototyping board and tested it, everything works! But, once I wired the jacks and 3pdt button, the gain is very very low. The led is pretty bright, you still barely hear the guitar through it when powered on. I will attach my 3pdt schematic and pictures of it below. I got it into a 1550A so it is snug. What could be my issue? Do I need to wire the 3pdt differently? The box is aluminum. The circuit worked in testing!
Anything helps!!
Attachments
25A50078-38BB-4739-944A-F70E206609FE.jpeg
5571100B-143F-44AB-8E98-DE65E376A9A3.jpeg

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Welcome!

Could we see a straight-on picture of the 3PDT lugs?

If it worked before you boxed it, that narrows it down. Things to check:
- Could one or both jacks be wired backwards? (signal should be wired to tip, ground wired to shield)
- Could the solder side of the board be touching something in the enclosure?

Steve_1160
Information

Post by Steve_1160 »

Hi Anthrich,

I see that the type of pots you have could let the connections maybe touch the case when installed? Most pots used are
of the "soldered" type with the connections coming down away from the threaded part to a stem with a hole for connecting/soldering.
If you have some fibre or plastic washers that could go on before you mount them and making sure nothing shorts that way...?

All I could see from the photo's...

Steve