Prince of Tone

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

aionios wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 02:06 I see that all six pins are soldered, but only the center-left pin has a visible top-side trace coming off it, with the rest on the bottom. I always include pads for unused pins because it provides better mechanical connection. I don't see anything in the photo that casts doubt on the schematic, although I could certainly be missing something basic!
The doubt arises because the switch on the POT has wires from the switch to the PCB. It's fair enough to solder all pins on a PCB mounted switch but running a wire which goes nowhere is harder to believe.

dmc777
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dmc777 »

Gonna be honest I’ve been a member here for a while but I’m still a complete beginner with this stuff. I can build a kit and what not and do some mods and easy repairs but that’s about the extent of my knowledge.

How can I contribute to this? Would detailed shots of the front and back of surface board suffice? Everyone’s always been helpful to me here so I’d like to contribute back what I can.

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

How can I contribute to this? Would detailed shots of the front and back of surface board suffice? Everyone’s always been helpful to me here so I’d like to contribute back what I can.
You should be able to check where the switch wires go using a multimeter. I'd recommend that method over disassembling the unit and taking photos. Sometimes things go wrong despite good intent.

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

george giblet wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 02:36
aionios wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 02:06 ...although I could certainly be missing something basic!
The doubt arises because the switch on the POT has wires from the switch to the PCB. It's fair enough to solder all pins on a PCB mounted switch but running a wire which goes nowhere is harder to believe.
Lol, file that under "missing something basic" then. I assumed the switch was PCB-mounted and didn't even notice that the actual switch was off to the left of the PCB. Yes, that's a bit more suspicious.