Easy (and possibly free) signal generator.

General rules and hints to succesfuly bring back that old pedal to life
deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I do quite a few pedal and amp repairs for a music shop so built a 1 kHz 2 transistor multivib signal generator with a 386 amplifier and a 3 inch speaker all in a re-purposed plastic box.

It works fine but the 1 kHz tone gets on your nerves after about 10 seconds so I started using my Strat as a sound source instead. This is not ideal as you have to keep strumming it and strummed open strings get old fast.

I then came across a set of sound samples that The G posted a couple of years ago and realised that I had an old mobile/cell phone gathering dust. (Very old as it is running Android 1.5 which was released in April 2009).

viewtopic.php?t=30860

I downloaded the guitar samples, put them on a 1 Gig SD card, inserted it in the phone and made a playlist of them.

I then got the 3.5mm jack and lead from an old pair of earbuds, soldered the L and R ground wires to the ground of a 1/4 inch jack plug and combined the L and R channels using 2 x 47k resistors to the tip connection (inside the jack cover).

It works perfectly. I no longer have to listen to my tuneless strumming or have my eardrums pierced by the 1 kHZ tone. I could record my own guitar (and bass) samples but being a lazy SOB probably never will.

Edit. I know I could use my current phone but am reluctant to plug it into unknown pedals and particularly tube amps.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012