Little treat for you  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

Good morning or evening friends depending on how the case may be.
I have not been able to play for a while but I was digging up some of my old stuff while I was going through chemotherapy.

I've forgotten about this wonderful little practice amp that I built on a piece of purfboard.
I have a problem with my hands so please cut me some slack on the drawing.
It was the easiest way for me to do it and also hopefully it shows a little bit easier for people who are newer.
Before I get into the way it all works let me tell you this thing sounded like a Marshal.
Don't get me wrong it was a little bit noisy it had some issues. And was ready for improvement. However I started building Is tube amplifiers and I walked away from it.

I plugged my guitar straight into this and turned the volume on 10 into a single 12" speaker it started ripping off sweet child of mine. No judgment now I'm a gen x.

It is an LM 386 and LM 380n - 8
380n8 It's the baby brother of the Craig anderton practice amp. Anybody who has ever owned that book is familiar with the bigger version of it.

It does not have to be run on 9 V you can take it up as far as your 386 will let you go.
I used .1uf capacitors. 100k pot And a 12" finder guitar speaker.

Feel free to ask any questions but let me go ahead and let you know right now there was absolute zero thought put into this design when I did it.
I pretty much was trying to melt a 9 V battery.
I think you will need a heat sink.
Pretty much was just trying to figure out something that I could cobble together so I could play guitar because I lost my head films in the move and I didn't have an amplifier.
I didn't even put this in a container I just literally double side and taped it to the speaker.
However I've read boarded it recently and it still sounded as good as I remembered.
If you're using a power supply it may not sound as good a part of it I think was because it was killing the non Volt battery.

Enjoy my friends
Attachments
Screenshot_20230308-234118_Gallery.jpg

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

ansil wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 05:10 I pretty much was trying to melt a 9 V battery
It's also trying to melt your speaker coil with DC.
Needs an output cap just like a '386. And a Zobel network.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Aint treat, but a piece of coal.

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
4 vintage plexi builds
100 jungle kat boosts
5 blues pearl purplexed

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

FiveseveN wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 07:27
ansil wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 05:10 I pretty much was trying to melt a 9 V battery
It's also trying to melt your speaker coil with DC.
Needs an output cap just like a '386. And a Zobel network.
I did forget the output cap thank you. You could definitely increase the frequency of the speaker response with the zobel network but it's not actually necessary. This was a quick and dirty thing I did a long time ago of course it's ripe with errors and stuff that could have been done better but instead of trying to fix my past mistake I stumbled upon a sound that sounded good and thought I would share it.
You may do with it as you please my friend.

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
4 vintage plexi builds
100 jungle kat boosts
5 blues pearl purplexed

Post by ansil »

I feel like this was an unnecessary reply seeing as it was a building block. Not a completed circuit something for people to modify and use as their own.

I've run into people like you before thank you for showing me that it is not worth my time to donate any more.
I did try to be nice, I can barely use my hands from the neuropathy for my chemotherapy but I tried thanks for showing me what I get.

stomper
Information

Post by stomper »

Thanks for your circuit. I enjoyed checking it out 👍