Union Tube & Transistor Tourbender  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Another excellent teardown...

Tourbender1.bmp
Tourbender1.bmp (81.68 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I understand why he used the huge filter capacitors, but they're not necessary. A different power arrangement would allow him to do it with smaller values and possibly have better results. The Dunlop Fuzz Face from late 90's/early 00's did a similar thing with large filter caps. The ZVex Fuzz Factory is what happens when you DON'T use large filter caps (or any at all).
Would probably be smart if they moved the polarity reversal protection diode to before the first filter cap, so that cap would be protected too. I've seen them get damaged from reverse polarity before.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

graybench
Information

Post by graybench »

Oh hi, uh... you know sometimes I forget to post here. Dang, sorry you had to redraw the schem Nocentelli.
Here are the trace pictures:

PCBtraces front.jpg
PCBtracesback.jpg
The 10n cap to ground is on the input jack side of the 4.7u. I'll post my schematic for simplicity:

schem1.jpg
Attachments
schem1.pdf
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 109 times