Sonicake Volwah extra LEDs?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
fael097
Information

Post by fael097 »

The Sonicake Volwah is an extremely affordable, real estate saver of a pedal, with volume and cry baby wah style combined into one tiny enclosure. It has two LEDs which seem to be RGB to me since they are green when Volume mode is active, and red when Wah is active.

Without questioning it's build or sound quality, my main issue with it is that the LEDs are UNDERNEATH the expression surface. This pedal really small so you can't see it entirely when it's under your foot and that's just part of it being tiny, but the LEDs can't be seen even when you're not stepping on it.

I was going to try and do the simples mod possible, just drill a hole on the side and solder another RGB LED, and since I'm not sure if it's as simple as soldering another LED to the same wires that the existing ones are soldered, or if I need another resistor or something, I decided to ask here. That's my first question.

But since we're at it... It would be ideal to have instead of 1 like 5 LEDs on the side, which would dim gradually and sequentially according to the pot position.

Any ideas how could I achieve that?

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

There are some gut shots here: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/woul ... edal.8358/

It looks like a 3-lead red/green LED, could be either common anode or common cathode. You could mark the leads so you remember which is red and which is green, desolder it, install it in a hole in the side of the pedal, and run wires from the leads back to the PCB.

fael097
Information

Post by fael097 »

mauman wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 18:17 There are some gut shots here: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/woul ... edal.8358/

It looks like a 3-lead red/green LED, could be either common anode or common cathode. You could mark the leads so you remember which is red and which is green, desolder it, install it in a hole in the side of the pedal, and run wires from the leads back to the PCB.
thanks, yeah I guess I'll try it.

how about this extra mod though, any idea how I could do that? :
But since we're at it... It would be ideal to have instead of 1 like 5 LEDs on the side, which would dim gradually and sequentially according to the pot position.