Glory Drive DLX building docs

transient
Information

Post by transient »

Hi,

I got a kit for this pedal and started building. My PCB version is 1v1.
I noticed that there are two 1v1 version of the building docs, and they use different resistor values:
Glory Drive DLX 1v1 – Building Docs (16th February 2023)
Glory Drive DLX 1v1 – Building Docs (11th October 2022)

I would assume the most recent one to be correct, but just wanted to check, since my kit came with the resistors for the october 2022 version.

Thanks in advance.

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Welcome to the forum!

Great question. I see three resistors with different values between the two build docs: R15, R17 and R18. Here's a chart that lists the differences, along with the values for the original JHS Morning Glory V4, and what these do. You can make your own choices, but in short, either of the three versions should work. If you have some spare resistors, my preference would be to increase R17 and R18 to 10k or so, but if all you have is the 1k pair they should be fine. Please let us know how your build turns out!
Version differences
Version differences

transient
Information

Post by transient »

Many thanks!

And R16 should ideally be shorted as in the latest doc, correct?
I have a bag full of resistors, so I can use 47k/56k for R17 & R18.
As for R15, i will solder a socket and try out various resistor values to see how much gain i like :)

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Thanks, I missed that one! JHS MG V4 has a 1k in R16, so either 1k or a jumper should be fine.

transient
Information

Post by transient »

Thank you very much!

Meanwhile I'm finished with my build. Haven't had the chance to test it loud with my amp yet, so I can't say much about how it sounds, but it appears to work.

The high-cut switch doesn't seem to do anything, i guess i have a problem somewhere, will check again. Might be a bad solder joint on the switch itself.

Also the high-gain mode increases the output volume too much compared to the normal mod -- I'm thinking of replacing R17&18 with a trimpot to be able to set it to be around the same level as the normal mod.

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Yeah, there's always a way to improve a build, that's what makes it interesting!

transient
Information

Post by transient »

I finally solved all issues and boxed this. Very happy with the sound. Until now i had only built various FET-based circuits, which have a different kind of overdrive sound compared to this. I like what this one does to the highs.

I found that the volume difference between the normal mode and the hi-gain mode changes throughout the range of the drive pot, so there doesn't seem to be an ideal value for R17&R18 that always works. Settled on R17:22k R18:82k for now. Might fine-tune it after I've played with it a bit.