Dan Armstrong Effects - Factory Schematics  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

Over time these seemed to have disappeared from the web.
dayellowhumper.jpg
daredranger.jpg
dapurplepeaker.jpg
daorangesqueezer.jpg
dagreenringer.jpg
dablueclipper.jpg

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

Thank you George!

pacealot
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mid '60s Vox AC10
Completed builds: Vox repeat percussion, Janglebox, a couple of Mk II/Supa Fuzzes, modded rEAgenerated Tremolo, FZ-1A, other random things & mods (as well as destroying several perfectly good pedals)

Post by pacealot »

I'd been searching for these all over to no avail for several years now — thanks George! All other currently circulating schemos of the Peaker and the Humper are at least slightly wrong, and certainly none of them account for the different resistor values to ground for each filter (for differing degrees of boost). Meanwhile, people have subbed in their own choices for caps and resistors in the filters so often that the original DA choices have become shrouded in mystery and speculation. But no more!

Also, it's validating to see that my eyes weren't wrong in identifying a pair of 56K resistors in the Green Ringer where others have had 68K (possibly ever since RG himself inadvertently misidentified them many moons ago)...

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

I'd been searching for these all over to no avail for several years now
I spent time searching earlier today and got jack of it so I pulled the schematics from my archives :).
I haven't confirmed the schematics against the PCB's (and didn't read my notes).

A few more snippets:

The 1980s Dan Armstrong "re-issue" orange squeezers (with the level adjustment hole) have slightly different PCBs. The JFET face is away from the edge of the board and the center leg is bent forward. The JFET pin-outs on the PCB have are like 2SK30As. The 70's units have the JFET facing the 100uF cap. One 80's model pic looked like a 2SK30A (can't remember if it's -Y or - GR). Some of those have what looks like a silicon diode with single blue stripe for the cathode, but I've also see a few with germanium diodes. (The WD models look similar, they use 2SK30A-GR.)

Many Orange Squeezer schematics leave off the 100uF 16V cap across the supply rails.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Thanks from me too George!