Fuzzrocious Ram the Manparts changed to overdrive [schematics]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Lukasen
Information
Completed builds: Completed build: Buffer (Sziklai/Complementary type).
Mini OD-1 (modified copy of Boss OD-1 without buffers)

Post by Lukasen »

Quite a simple thing.

I went back to the Fuzzrocious Ram The Manpart project that I didn't finish after the mods. I threw away (after modification with 10k pot//4k7 for better control) the starving circuit and wanted to get more overdrive-sound from it.

However, I did not know how to connect a suitable gain control. At the input, I didn't want to reduce the already low input impedance of the LM386, and at the same time I wanted to keep the minimalist form of the entire circuit. Finally, I thought of connecting a 1k potentiometer between pins p1 and p8 instead of the mandatory switch. I tweaked the rest of the component values to make it somewhat similar to my favorite Boss OD-1.

In the end, it doesn't sound so bad (I was really prejudiced against the LM386) - it's a bit like the OD-1, only it doesn't have as many pronounced mids and it has surprisingly good dynamics (thanks to the headroom before clipping, which corresponds to half the supply voltage).

You can use a buffer before it or without a buffer, connect the tone section aka SWTC at the end, etc.
The strange combination of 1k//100R at the output is only to limit the output volume (100R can of course be omitted).

And another note on connecting the LM386: it is advisable to connect a bypass capacitor from pin 7 to ground with a value of at least 10uF (I noticed that in some schemes this capacitor is missing).

I will be grateful for recommendations of other simple effects with the LM386, there is some magic in it :-).