Univox - Superfuzz  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Awesome! Looks good! Those sound like cool mods. :thumbsup

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

Very nice indeed. Schematic of the implemented mods?

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

here you go
Attachments
gilasuperfuzz.pdf
(51.3 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

greenskull wrote:To increase output on the Superfuzz, try putting a 10uf in parallel with emitter resistor on the last stage transistor...... going by memory for what I did with my build a few years ago. negative leg goes to ground.
Tried this on one of my BYOC Leed's Fuzz kits, and it did increase the volume output tremendously. The only thing is the circuit doesn't get as over the top fuzzy when the balance knob is maxed. It looks like it'd take this plus putting an extra gain stage to act as an overall volume, allowing the balance knob to be cranked but bringing the volume down a bit!
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!

Rolbista
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite clone

Post by Rolbista »

What are the factors determining amount of distortion here? Transistors, diodes, gain pot value? Just finished a clone and while I think it sounds like it should, i would like to have more gain available, something like this: , , at the maximum. Trannies used are all gold leg BC108, diodes are some random germaniums i found, they have "A101" written on them i think. Or maybe I'm expecting too much, maybe the songs I posted have that kind of gain from amp drive too and that's the only way to achieve it? maybe swap the diodes for 1N1418? Yeah.

Rolbista
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite clone

Post by Rolbista »

ok, i got it, i plugged 1n1418 and it sounds great, i don't want to play any other pedal so far! but the scooped mode is a little heavy on the ears

pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pietro_moog »

do any of you guys know a layout small enough to fit in a 1590B box?

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

pietro_moog wrote:do any of you guys know a layout small enough to fit in a 1590B box?
Only if you're able to etch!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

rhandy gaye
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by rhandy gaye »

Attachments
naibu1.jpg
naibu1.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

Rolbista wrote: i would like to have more gain available, something like this: ,
there is no better place to start than from the actual Superfuzz that was used!

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=64068.0

TubeDude22
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TubeDude22 »

What is the function of the 10uf cap in series with a 47k resistor on the emitter of Q2? :scratch:

DiscoVlad
Information

Post by DiscoVlad »

The frequency response at the emitter of Q2 has a peak of about +22dB at 1kHz, changing the value of the 10uF capacitor lets more low frequencies into the feedback path, which results in a bass cut before the rectifier(Q4/Q5) and clipping (Ge Diodes) stages.

I suspect that this and probably the 10uF capacitor on the emitters of Q4/Q5 are what stops the Superfuzz from sounding muddy.

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

rhandy gaye wrote:http://www.takkyparts.com/

the fuzzy master
I took a look a it, but I think the Honey fuzz it's a superfuzz. this fuzzy master has only 5 transistors, while the honey has 6
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

I finally got around to reading this killer thread...Excuse me if I missed it here somewhere, but I was just curious about a couple things I didn't come across that I was surprised wasn't discussed.

1) What would be a typical hfe of a 2SC539 and 2SC828 in an original Superfuzz?
(my guide shows 90-700 for the 2SC539 and 65-700 for the 2SC828, which is a large range)

2) Since there are 2 different transistors (2SC539 for Q1,4,5,6 and 2SC828 for Q2,3) used according to the schematic,
why does it seem everyone is subbing all the same transistors for Q1-Q6?

3) Did anyone try any germanium subs (and re-bias) for any of the transistors?

thanx

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

LucifersTrip wrote:I finally got around to reading this killer thread...Excuse me if I missed it here somewhere, but I was just curious about a couple things I didn't come across that I was surprised wasn't discussed.

(my guide shows 90-700 for the 2SC539 and 65-700 for the 2SC828, which is a large range)
The 539 had a slightly better noise spec. The 828 seemed to be almost any old transistor that came off the line and they couldn't fit into any particular category! In my experience, the circuit works best with high hfe for the first two transistors and lower for the rest. I used BC109Cs for the first two transistors and then a CA3046 for the rest. Sounds really good!
LucifersTrip wrote:2) Since there are 2 different transistors (2SC539 for Q1,4,5,6 and 2SC828 for Q2,3) used according to the schematic,
The types aren't too critical, though it helps if the long-tailed pair are matched and the resistors around them are matched too - you get much more octave that way. Almost any silicon transistors will work well in this circuit!
LucifersTrip wrote:3) Did anyone try any germanium subs (and re-bias) for any of the transistors?
There's no point. It wouldn't sound much different, and it would be quite temperature sensitive. The biggest change you can get is by using silicon instead of germanium diodes for the clipper!
LucifersTrip wrote:thanx
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

mictester wrote:
LucifersTrip wrote:I finally got around to reading this killer thread...Excuse me if I missed it here somewhere, but I was just curious about a couple things I didn't come across that I was surprised wasn't discussed.

The 539 had a slightly better noise spec. The 828 seemed to be almost any old transistor that came off the line and they couldn't fit into any particular category! In my experience, the circuit works best with high hfe for the first two transistors and lower for the rest. I used BC109Cs for the first two transistors and then a CA3046 for the rest. Sounds really good!
what do consider "high" gain and "lower"? you're really not sure what would be a typical hfe of a 2SC539 and 2SC828 in an original Superfuzz? I'll keep in mind the higher hfe for the first two, though, it'd seem a little odd since Q2 & Q3 are the different transistors in the original...
LucifersTrip wrote:2) Since there are 2 different transistors (2SC539 for Q1,4,5,6 and 2SC828 for Q2,3) used according to the schematic,
mictester wrote: The types aren't too critical, though it helps if the long-tailed pair are matched and the resistors around them are matched too - you get much more octave that way. Almost any silicon transistors will work well in this circuit!
yes, the trimmer is there for the pair...so you have tried gains of 65 and gains of 700? I'll try various gains, but it'd be cool to know what would get me closest to the original voltages without tweaking resistors. solidhex was cool enough to post the voltages from an original that sounds great.
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=64068.0

LucifersTrip wrote:3) Did anyone try any germanium subs (and re-bias) for any of the transistors?
mictester wrote: There's no point. It wouldn't sound much different, and it would be quite temperature sensitive. The biggest change you can get is by using silicon instead of germanium diodes for the clipper!
that, I have to admit seems highly unlikely...there's hardly any fuzz I've built over the years that ge didn't make a difference, for better or worse. this one probably would need a load of re-biasing, so it wouldn't be worth the effort for most.

thanx

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

after a bunch more searches, it seems that many believe the original transistors would have hfe's in the 150-200 range

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

I've never seen a 2SC828Q above 300hfe. Usually hover around 180...

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

The few I have are around 180-230.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

KindaFuzzy wrote:The few I have are around 180-230.
Just remember that modern transistors of the same number many times have different (usually higher) hfe's than the old ones.

For instance, my new 2N3906's have gains around 200+ and my old, gold legged ones have gains around 100