Analogman - TS9/808/Silver Mod  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
moro
Information

Post by moro »

Dave Simpson wrote:hndme (Handmade Electronics) has the Muse series caps if anyone is looking for them in the USA. :)
Ooo, thank you for the info. I have a bunch of Muse caps that I'm terrified to use because I'm afraid of running out. :shock: They have a bunch of other cool stuff too.

Have you ordered from them?

Dave Simpson
Information

Post by Dave Simpson »

Not, yet. I'm still trying to figure out what I want and what I can afford. :lol:

Lovepedal Detective
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Lovepedal Detective »

They only have the cool green FZ series in two really big values. :(

LPD

AL
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AL »

So what's all the hub bub (I can't believe I just used that) about the Muse caps? Can someone please explain? How are they different/better/worse than any other brand. Thanks

AL

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

You can use good plain foil audio caps for the electrolytics (Sony gold are always a good choice), any 0,5W CC Rs and AVX, WIMA black audio or similar foil caps. For more warmth use a few Mylar caps.

JHS

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

someone has schematic of this mod?

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Mike has written a lot on his website about the silver and the brown mod (better caps, a bit more gain and some CC R in certain places for the brown mod, RC or TI 4558 chip, a 808 output mod and sometimes resoldering the crappy solder points).

JHS

Lovepedal Detective
Breadboard Brother
Information

More pictures. Worth the $75? You be the judge.

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

Lovepedal Detective wrote:More pictures. Worth the $75? You be the judge.

the values of the place marked by ...
thanks

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

[quote="Lovepedal Detective"]More pictures. Worth the $75? You be the judge.

95strat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 95strat »

Not to far from the Keeley mod.

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

neilnil wrote:AM uses carbon comp resistors in the signal path
When we talk about "signal path" in OPAMP Schematic, which RESISTOR is involved?
Can anyone shred some light on which 7 resistor that Mike changed to CC with schematic?

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Mike used the BB1 circuit as a basement for his KoT. Guess why he don't use his modded TS-style circuit in his Überscreamer.

If you are a skilled electronic designer with a very good ear, have some well known customers and a very good reputation on what you're doing you can charge 75$ with ease for a pedal mod. Today there are at least 30 TS-style pedals on the market to choose from, so maybe modding a TS is not neccessary but if you have a bad unit from the '80th you can upgrade it for 75$, IMHO that's not to much.

Guitar players buy new 2003/4 and then get them modded for the SLO sound. For the same amount of money they could buy a Soldano Hot Rod or even cheaper a used SLO 60, so spending a few bucks on pedal modding won't ruin them.

I can mod my TS or build a TS-clone on perf board in about 30 minutes for few $ less, that's why I wouldn't send it to Mike to get it modded by him. Any DIY modder/builder is able to do the same.

If you're a guitar player and a TS-fetish w/o any electronic knowledge an Analogman modded (IMHO it's more finetuning than modding) TS is a very good choice and overall in the same price range like a Maxon or Fulltone pedal and a lot cheaper than a vintage original. Personally I would spend a few bucks more and buy a KoT, 'cos it's a very good investment in a TS-style pedal, considering that most average sounding ODs from so called B-Makers are in the same or a higher price range. IMHO nobody needs 5 - 10 TS-style ODs, but a lot of guitar players had spent their bucks on such a wasteless Armada of pedals lying somewhere around now, instead of buying only one pedal , but a good 'un.

Today pedal modding is hype and business at the same time and I don't care much about it. Mike survived a decade in this business and and his company is still growing, he's innovative and he published what he's doing on a TS-pedal. Other self christened pedal modders are telling voodoo zombie nightmare stories about their mods.

JHS

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Jep... Mike is a great guy. We all learned sooo much from Mike.... like how rare and valuable 4558's are, what real terrorists do , that the difference of 2 resistors is tremendous..... , that a 2 year waiting list is OK business, That youdon't have to say thanks or even respond when one of thos terrorists puts you on the right track... Swell guy... No thanks.
JHS wrote: Other self christened pedal modders are telling voodoo zombie nightmare stories (about their mods)....
JHS
Really!?? is there any other way than self-Christening? Can you get a pedal modding diploma somewhere????? Or can we gat an "Analog Mike seal of approval"??
And, if we have that approval, can we explain the remark below from another thread: ( still... unanswered):
JHS wrote:A protection diodes wired this way limits the current flow ...JHS
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Lovepedal Detective
Breadboard Brother
Information

JHS wrote:Mike survived a decade in this business and and his company is still growing, he's innovative and he published what he's doing on a TS-pedal. Other self christened pedal modders are telling voodoo zombie nightmare stories about their mods.

JHS

Where has Mike actually published his "mods"?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

I think we should concentrate on pointing the changes, although I don't admire many of these guys either and have expressed my thoughts about them, why more bad blood?

Back on subject, A friend of mine has an 808 modded by analog man, it sounds very good, I will take some shots and post them, to see what is all the fuss about, the thing is, I don't care much about it, because im my experience, just with changing the chip in a standard TubeScreamer you have improved big time.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30

Post by JimiB »

I'm interested in seeing these because I repaired an original (old)TS9 and a keeley mod TS9 last yead and the Keeley sounded better. If I remember correctly the Keeley had an extra diode soldered to the solderside of the board for assy clipping.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

The thing is, in my opinion, that Keeley makes a modification which 'fools' the user. Sure, when you play in your room it sounds really fat and gainy, but at high volume the sound is clobbed with mud. You have to turn up the tone control, and it might become harsh.

Sure, there's always a difference between playing in your room and playing in a band situation, with any setup, but this is a great difference, at least in my experience and some friends'.

After all, is my personal opinion, And I will put the photographs, will have to wait a little thoguh, I don't have a camera, nor the pedal, but will do before friday for sure.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

thanks

because nobody has schematic of TS-9 RE-J Modified or "Silver Mod?

photo orignal ts-9 components.
Attachments
silvermod ts-9.jpg

Lovepedal Detective
Breadboard Brother
Information

andregarcia57 wrote:the values of the place marked by ...
thanks

because nobody has schematic of TS-9 RE-J Modified or "Silver Mod?

photo orignal ts-9 components.

Instead of asking the same thing over again, why don't you read the first post in this thread? All your answers are right there.