12A*7's, Choice, brands & Alternatives??

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Valvetronix Series
Completed builds: Super Hard On
Fuzz Factory
Aenima/Torn's Peaker (2 in 1 box with toggle switch)
Valvecaster Deluxe (Boost before VC)
Proco Rat (Mod to power jack, and input cap changed)
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

Hey all,
I'm looking at maybe building a ValveCaster as my 3rd build. I'm really happy with my last two builds, a SHO and a FF, and keeping with the fuzzstortion theme, i think a valvecaster is a good call. ;)

I've a few questions regarding the tubes, and a few things i'd love to have cleared up.

Firstly, the recommended tube for the ValveCaster is a 12AU7. I know a 12AX7 can be used, and would provide more gain, although it has been reported as being too much. But what about some of the different 12XXX tubes like 12DW7 with Dissimilar Triodes, or 12AV7 (Dual Triode). Would they all give different tones?

Secondly, what about miniature tubes? Is there a miniature equivilent, and if so, what are they like?

Thirdly, I've done some research into the letters AFTER the tube number, like 12AU7XXX, and i notice that some mean low hum, others refer to premium ones etc etc. Do they really make a difference? I quite like that grainy-unperfect sound, i think it sounds more genuine, so i'd be inclined to get one of the grainier, dirty ones! lol!

fourthly, the wierd tubes. I was looking on one website that stocked lots of wierd tubes in all sorts of shapes and sizes. some of the wierd ones had 9 pins, so is there other codes of tubes that would also work?

and finally, does brand make much of a difference?

I'd like to maybe get a few cheap ones and try them out ;)
thanks,
tm

marauder
Information

Post by marauder »

I used a NOS Philips 5963 in mine and my friend's Valvecaster and it works perfectly, tube is basically a 12AU7 with lower max plate voltage, same pin outs.
I think they were originally designed for use in computers, so are likely to be very well made.

I dont think other 12xx7 tubes work as well due to the very low plate voltages in the VC.

I picked them up from Colomor on ebay uk.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0302879670

Muzzatron5000
Information

Post by Muzzatron5000 »

Hi - Very late reply..... but help someone.

I've built a few VC's now and I found the 12AU7(A) to be really nice. If you want spanky fender sounds.
I was lucky to pick up some vintage Admiral brand tubes and they are really nice. Has lower microphonic specs or something like that.
Afterwards replacing one of them with new Electro Harmonix 12AU7 but felt too dirty or something. I dunno. I'll have to try it again.
Going to try some 6N5P (NOS) tubes I ordered from Ukraine! Have not arrived yet but just looking at that soviet era gear is really addictive. Also the price seems pretty good too. There is a seller called hds-group that some stock.
Will let you know they are any good. But my money so far is the is the 12AU7(A)!!!

Some good info here:
https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-ba ... 2au7-tube/

mozz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mozz »

Also try 12at7. Some variants i have swapped out. 5963,5965,6211,6201, 12av7, 12az7. 5814.