Rehousing cheap pedals

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
SwamperGene
Information

Post by SwamperGene »

Very cool indeed Dan :D

Back to the CC Vibe, I finally went ahead and did my mods, jumping board power to kill the delay and adding a trimpot to adjust the output volume. I haven't built or modded anything since before the 'net was around, having just recently picked up a guitar again after many years without one. (OK I lie I did a few of the usual mods to my TS9 a few weeks ago.)

For the volume mod, I wanted something easily adjustable, and seeing the battery box makes these pedals pretty tight inside I decided to go with a 10K trimmer mounted on the board between the output and power jacks. The board made it simple, I just got out the trusty dremel and hacked out a pad from the big ground surface on the back of the board (after figuring out where my holes would be) :

This gave me my pin 3 to ground point, pin 1/input on the new pad, and I added another hole for the output cable's shield to ground. Pin 2/output is at the top of the pot so I just soldered directly to the lug. Pic is a little fuzzy, but here's a closeup:

For the delay, I just soldered a jumper between the in/out board power lugs on the switch. I like seeing a distinct on/off LED, so I passed on wiring the LED to the speed pot but may add a separate "speed LED" on later. Thanks to the tips here, it all works great!

The only place I messed up was drilling my access hole in the case, I almost did it on the wrong side...just caught myself, but still made a mark in the case...oh well.

:D

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

Very cool indeed! Nice work.

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

your pedal is very cool , danielzink .

It's really more usefull than the regular danelectro pedal ? I mean, the rocker pedal adds something more (expect the fact you can control one parameter with the foot) ?

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Too many: www.danielzink.com

Post by danielzink »

devastator wrote:your pedal is very cool , danielzink .

It's really more usefull than the regular danelectro pedal ? I mean, the rocker pedal adds something more (expect the fact you can control one parameter with the foot) ?

The foot pedal (rocker) is attached to the speed pot.

The fellow I built it for wanted to be able to vary the Vibe' speed at different times during a song.

Dan
http://www.danielzink.com
MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

kev324
Information

Post by kev324 »

Will the foil mod work on this one like it did on the CS? I'm have assuming it won't make a difference since the lightbox top should already be reflective. Though I'd ask. I haven't taken mine far enough apart yet. I'd like to keep the Cool Cat on my board, but it doesn't quite have the same "swoosh" as my CS.

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

kev324 wrote:Will the foil mod work on this one like it did on the CS? I'm have assuming it won't make a difference since the lightbox top should already be reflective. Though I'd ask. I haven't taken mine far enough apart yet. I'd like to keep the Cool Cat on my board, but it doesn't quite have the same "swoosh" as my CS.

No need to as the lightbulb/ldr's are inside of a silver metal reflective box already.

Dan
MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

jonesin4tone
Information

Post by jonesin4tone »

hey, Ive been trying to find info in the chicken salad mod.
All I see everywhere are the dreaded "red Xs"
does anyone have a good drawing and how to for the Chicken Salad R.G. mod and rehouse!
Im new at all this and so confused about pot values and I just cant make sense of schematics that Ive found so far.
HELP!!!!PLEASE!!!!!

Pete

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

If you're new at this, I suggest you start with basic projects, that way you'll get the grip and learn all the necessary to make more advanced projects.

Also, please post questions or comments in the appropriate thread, use the search function, that's all in the rules.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

doctorums
Information

Post by doctorums »

i tried searching but couldn't find what i was looking for. could someone help me rehouse my french toast step by step. apologies for total and utter n00bness, i've only got one build under my belt and it was from a kit. schematics are like greek to me, maybe someone has a pictorial or layout or something. thanks in advance.
Last edited by Fuzzer on 08 May 2009, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You didn't try hard enough, post any questions regarding the rehousing process here please, That's what this thread is for.

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

Danelectro Tuna Melt rehouse:

Dan

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

Nice. How did you do the graphics?

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

salocin wrote:Nice. How did you do the graphics?

I do all my graphics in Visio then full face waterslide.

Dan

frankus
Information
Completed builds: Fallclone SD-1, Keeley BD-2, Tonepad Big Muff, Tonepad Neoctavia, Modded Jen Wah, Tonepad Rosscomp, MXR Distortion+, Tremulus Lune

Post by frankus »

This looks awesome, I'm doing the same project at the moment - do you have a decode for the rainbow cable or have you wired the board up not using that?

The decals look great :applause:

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

frankus wrote:This looks awesome, I'm doing the same project at the moment - do you have a decode for the rainbow cable or have you wired the board up not using that?

The decals look great :applause:

Thanks,

Unfortunately I'm also using the "second" board - as I do not have the pinouts of the rainbow cable. I followed the rehouse article on TGP and it works great.

Dan

shooto
Information

Post by shooto »

the thing is so damn big!...would re-housing one be a big deal?

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Could you post a few pics of the inside ?
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

couple of pointers for rehousing the tuna melt. The legs on the speed pot are ground points, which are disconnected when you remove the pot. So you need to jumper them together. The tuna melt is a relatively hard rehouse if you try to bypass the buffer. You can force it to be on, and throw a looper around that and that's easier.

Here are the assignents
purple = 4.5v
blue = output
green = 4053 #3 input
yellow = 4053 #5 clip out
orange = ground
red = 9v
brown = LED clip out

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

remove switching circuit
remove the brown wire (LED)
remove orange wire
add 4.7M to input (blue)
add 100uF electrolytic to 9V (green) and add diode protection

exchange pots (all 50k).
Jumper the legs on the volume pot ...grounding points

that's pretty much it. If you need the schematic, give me a shout.

frankus
Information
Completed builds: Fallclone SD-1, Keeley BD-2, Tonepad Big Muff, Tonepad Neoctavia, Modded Jen Wah, Tonepad Rosscomp, MXR Distortion+, Tremulus Lune

Post by frankus »

:D cool - that is cool, thanks Cow4prez, I've just finished a Tremulus Lune and wanting to finished the tuna melt too :) awesome.

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

Cow4prez wrote:couple of pointers for rehousing the tuna melt. The legs on the speed pot are ground points, which are disconnected when you remove the pot. So you need to jumper them together.

Can't quite see it..but it's there (the jumper that is) :D

Dan