"Superfly" - submini tube version of Doug H's Firefly

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by frequencycentral »

rasta_maleek wrote:no matter with this, post it revised archive, i fix it when i do the initial proves, the power supply works well but only take 165vdc with the trimmer turned at max, i think i may change some resistor next to the trimmer,
You should be able to get around 230 volts out of it, not sure if the inductor you are using is affecting things. Is you MOSFET heatsinked with thermally conductive gel?
rasta_maleek wrote: frecuency, i have some transformer for two 6v6(fender blackface), did this transformers works well with the two triodes of the 6021w??
thanks.
Sory, I don't understand the question. I just used a Hammond 125A. I've never used 6021 subminis, just 6111, 6112, 5672, 5902, 5840, 6397, 7327.

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Here's my second one:

....and here's my third, Superfly Special, with the addition of tone and master volume controls, just finished it:

Here's the schematic of the Special. All I did was remove the grid stopper between the two 6112 stages and replace it with a tonestack, and replaced the 330K grid leak resistor between the preamp and the power amp with a 470k Log pot. The combination of the gain and volume controls is really useful and flexible. The tonestack makes this Superfly not quite as loud as my last two, but a useful addition I guess.

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

hi again frecuency, i´m here for news improvements in the super fly, i like the special super fly, but i didnt use te tone stack sugested, i like the guitar tone.
My super fly only give me 177volts with the trymmer turn all around, i change one wrong cap (180p=100p) in the power supply circuit, before only give me 165v.
ís it enougth volts for run the super fly 177volts??
I´m plan to use 6021w for the poweramp, and 6111 for the preamp what do you think of? 6021w is more similar i found to the 6111w or 7327.
Other new, i make one of your designs, the murder one, with mods, but i can´t turn master volumen all the way because it emitig squeezes sounds, but forgeting this, its sounds very good for me.

and some video for test me in my labour.

thanks a lot for all frecuency central :applause:
Attachments
i added some little mod, three voicings, fenderished, marshallished and insane.
i added some little mod, three voicings, fenderished, marshallished and insane.
my little murder one, dedicated to frecuency central for this help that give us.
my little murder one, dedicated to frecuency central for this help that give us.

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

other question frecuency, when did you buy the inductors?, i can´t find it.
Thanks. :applause:

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

finally i found the inductors 100uH zvex style.
I finishing my super fly and i need to know whats primary impedance did you use, i see in you super-f that you used pin´s 2 and 4 of the transformer, isn´t it?
i implemented the first super fly with other tone stack, like the jj´s submini, i don´t like too much big muff style tone stack.
I will upload images when it will be completed, painting included.
:applause:

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

hey boys!! i finish my own super fly!!

I promise take some photos and here are they.

only one thing frecuency central, i sense the amp a little bit noisy, probably by the not glued heat skin of the IRF740?? i don´t know, all resistors are metal film 1% and caps mallory 150 for coupling caps and sprage orange for the tone stack.
And then takes some temperature in the chase, maybe a fan is needed little zvex nanoamp.
cheers.
Thanks for your knoledge frecuency central.
Attachments
101_2599.JPG
101_2597.JPG

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

And finally i did a special super fly, with the same tone stack as you Rick, and take some video.

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Could you take a buffered line out from the volume pot?
Testing, testing, won too fwee

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Could you take a buffered line out from the volume pot?
Yeah, think so!

Nice sunny day here in rural Warwickshire, so I thought why not spend it indoors building a Superfly. This one's got a 'Brake' in place of the master volume. I replaced R8 (470R) with a 500R linear panel mounted pot. The internal trimmer is still there - used to set the maximum voltage. The 'Brake' pot then varies the B+ between 110v and 190v.

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

How hard is it to change tubes in these amps? Or a better question: what kind of tube life should we expect?

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

frequencycentral wrote:Image
Beautiful Amps!!! I know I will have to build one of these.

As usual, I over-analyze everything before I do anything. I noticed one discrepancy on the schematics that I have to ask about.

All the schematics use a Hammond 125A output transformer. The connections to speaker are listed as 2 and 5.
If I reading the schematic properly, this should provide 22,500 ohms on the primary using an 8 ohm load.
However, looking at the data sheet for the Hammond 125A-E, it shows that when using 2 and 5 the highest primary
impendance is 15.5K at 15 ohm load......8.2K with 8 ohm load.

Using connectors 2 and 4 will provide 22.5K with an 8 ohm load. From what I can see from your pictures, you are
using connectors 2 and 5, so I know this works. I'm easily confused! Am I misunderstanding something?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

These amps are looking cool, I'll have to build one, one of these days.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

derevaun
Information

Post by derevaun »

Agreed totally. How does the Superfly compare to the Murder One in terms of gain and "tube warmth?" I'm not intent on clean sparkly headroom, more interested on getting a range from rock to metal, with a healthy minimum of fuzz/distortion pedals in front. :?:

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

derevaun wrote:Agreed totally. How does the Superfly compare to the Murder One in terms of gain and "tube warmth?" I'm not intent on clean sparkly headroom, more interested on getting a range from rock to metal, with a healthy minimum of fuzz/distortion pedals in front. :?:
I haven't built either yet, so I can only reply using tube specs as a basis.
The "SF" uses a 6112 (amp factor of 70) as the preamp, and a 6111 (amp factor of 20) for the 'power' stage.
This would be like substituting a 5751 (70) for a 12AX7 (100) for less gain, less noise, better microphonics, etc.
The "M1" uses a 6111 (amp factor of 20) as the preamp. This is like substituting a 12AU7 for the 12AX7.
The "SF" would seem to have more gain. The "M1" would probably have more clean volume.

I have another question for someone with experience with these tubes. Some of the tubes are available with long wire leads.
Some of them are short leads. I am unable to locate the old submini sockets. Has anyone tried to use them in an 8 pin
mini dip socket? Or, an 8 pin socket for a TO-5 can?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

Ihunda
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ihunda »

Hi guys, I am a bit lost as to how the last stage is working? Shouldn't the 2nd triode in the push pull receive an out of phase signal on its grid?

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Ihunda wrote:Hi guys, I am a bit lost as to how the last stage is working? Shouldn't the 2nd triode in the push pull receive an out of phase signal on its grid?
The AC voltage that develops across the bias resistor drives the other tube.

Ihunda
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ihunda »

Thanks frequencycentral, ah very interesting so I guess since the 2nd triode gate is at 0v potential all of time, it'is biased in the opposite direction as the first one?

Do you know if this is as efficient as a "phase/out of phase signal" push pull model?

IHFX

thereminator
Information

Post by thereminator »

Ihunda wrote:Hi guys, I am a bit lost as to how the last stage is working? Shouldn't the 2nd triode in the push pull receive an out of phase signal on its grid?
http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/SelfSplit.pdf
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Ihunda
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ihunda »

Thanks for that link, very instructive PDF!