Dunlop - GCB-95F Crybaby Classic Wah Wah  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

enjoy some guts :thumbsup

boris :block:
Attachments
001.jpg
002.jpg

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

sorry, full name is Dunlop-cry baby Classic......MODEL GCB-95F

so this schematic is not what this PCB looks like :hmmm: :block:
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... php?id=351

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

Wow, almost entirely built by machine! :)

No transistors (opamp instead???); none of that daft mojo whatsoever (other than the fasel perhaps)...

I guess if you owned this new version you couldn't easily mod if for cheap - the relevant thread on here will be made obsolete! :D

Edit - I missed the transistors there... I'm not used to looking at tiny SMD parts... they look all wrong... where's the mojo in them! :wink:
Yet to break through the Space Charge

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

I think that this wah have nice sound.......never mind that it is all smd...... :thumbsup

boris

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

Hmmm, if this crybaby sounds nice straight out the box then I'm very interested... my old one is not so great (and altering this resistor and that resistor has made no great improvement). I've been thinking of removing the pcb from mine and starting from scratch - using what circuit I don't know! There's not been many (not auto) wah wah pedals looked at here (from the searches I've done :hmmm: )... so thanks for the posting Boris :thumbsup I'm curious what differences there might be between this new version and the old ones

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

borislavgajic wrote:I think that this wah have nice sound.......never mind that it is all smd...... :thumbsup

boris
I encountered that problem a few times recently. Pure stock crybabies performing far better than the ones with all the mojo-tweaks.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
borislavgajic wrote:I think that this wah have nice sound.......never mind that it is all smd...... :thumbsup

boris
I encountered that problem a few times recently. Pure stock crybabies performing far better than the ones with all the mojo-tweaks.
I agree with Dirk.......so is there schematic somewhere? ..or I'll have to trace it.......

I have better picture of component side...but it'is large....so if somebody want it,send me mail adress......

this is nice demo...

boris :thumbsup

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

borislavgajic wrote:I'll have to trace it.......
Yep you will....
Too much stuff on the bench to reserve time for tracing...

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Yep you will....

I totally agree with you Mr Dirk :thumbsup

boris

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

borislavgajic wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Yep you will....

boris

Sorry. I lied.
Tracing a TOD9 now (maxon). More exciting than the next fuzz or another booster.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
borislavgajic wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Yep you will....

boris

Sorry. I lied.
Tracing a TOD9 now (maxon). More exciting than the next fuzz or another booster.
more exciting for sure :) ...it looks great (TOD9)....could you post gut shoots of this pedal please?

http://www.maxonfx.com/Nine_TOD9.php

and what about that special power suply? :hmmm: what can you tell us??

thanks

boris

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

Hey Boris, concerning the wah - after searching more than once it seems there is nothing out there on the internet for this circuit. No schematic - and not even any little bits of info about what there might be inside. Just silence and secrecy! I'm sorry I cannot help you trace it - that is beyond me with a pcb like that :block: :block: :block:

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

johnnyg wrote:Hey Boris, concerning the wah - after searching more than once it seems there is nothing out there on the internet for this circuit. No schematic - and not even any little bits of info about what there might be inside. Just silence and secrecy! I'm sorry I cannot help you trace it - that is beyond me with a pcb like that :block: :block: :block:

What I see is the classic Crybaby topology with an added opamp. Seems like a input stage starting at C6. Probably with an output amplifier as well.

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

What I see is the classic Crybaby topology with an added opamp. Seems like a input stage starting at C6. Probably with an output amplifier as well
Thanks Dirk_Hendrik. I was guessing that the standard crybaby circuit was at the heart of this (situated to the left of the pcb where the two tiny transistors are found - the mpsa18 transistors in the pre-smd circuits)... perhaps with both an input buffer and an output buffer?? (The two opamps??). But these were just empirical guesses... no theory or knowledge of audio-electronics like your good self... so I will shut up now! :D

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

here is hi res. picture of component side........ :thumbsup

http://www.2shared.com/file/10467185/ad271954/003.html

boris
:blackeye

msi
Information

Post by msi »

Here is the schematic as I have figured it out.
gcb-95f.gif
I haven't put in any values. If there is an error I likewise don't plan on fixing it.

Goodrat
Information

Post by Goodrat »

This is what I came up with for it:

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Goodrat wrote:This is what I came up with for it:
[ Image ]
according to your schem there is a boost of 11 in front of a classic wah,i personally think its too much,since there is no pot to regulate that.could you recheck r1 and r2?

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

alexradium wrote:
Goodrat wrote:This is what I came up with for it:
[ Image ]
according to your schem there is a boost of 11 in front of a classic wah,i personally think its too much,since there is no pot to regulate that.could you recheck r1 and r2?
sorry just have seen now the 1nF cap,that changes everything...OK

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Thanks Rick! :thumbsup
Personally I'd remove and jumper R20 straight away. First create a solid 4.5 volts virtual ground, then screw it up by giving it a 1k source resistance and filtering that off again with a cap.. totally nuts :scratch: